Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Ibanez S5470... In Viking Red... Oh yeah!

User ImageMike Lindyn
11:15 pm Friday
November 7, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report

Just ordered one of these. Dance Dance Its an Ibanez S5470 in Viking Red. I´ve been trying to get one for over two months but they literally became available this week. I couldn´t find any locally so I had to mail order it... Can´t wait to get it.

I have 2 other high end S series guitars: the original 540s ltd (1989) and the s1520 (2001). Now this one 2009.

Some of the new features I´m most interest in include:
24 frets (instead of 22 like the others).
The new ZR2 bridge w/ZPS3 spring system.
I´m also interested in hearing the combination of the HGD1 neck humbucker ST1 single coil and HGD2.

I´ll give you all a more detailed review once I have had it for a couple of days but if its as good as the others I have I´m sure I´ll be singing its praises.

Pickup Configuration:

Bridge Pickup
Name:    Hot Grinder 2
Model No:    HGD2
Construction:    Humbucking
Magnet:    Ceramic
Description:    Hot, but sharp enough to hear the pick bite the strings.

Middle Pickup
Name:    Short Tracer
Model No:    ST1
Construction:    Single Coil
Magnet:    Neodymium
Description:    Strong magnet provides full output in low profile setting.

Neck Pickup
Name:    Hot Grinder 1
Model No:    HGD1
Construction:    Humbucking
Magnet:    Alnico
Description:    Hot, but sharp enough to hear the pick bite the strings

ZR2 Bridge:
User Imagejeremy
7:03 pm Sunday
November 9, 2008
Whoa. The split configuration on that thing is the same as my Ibanez Universe. I´ve never taken advantage of that though. I have all of these guitars with multiple pickups on them and I always stay on the bridge. That´s a nice guitar, of course. My nephew who´s registered on here is into the S series too. You´ll never see him post anything ´cause he´s a dork but he´s into those guitars. He has 2 of them. In fact, I influenced him to buy the first S that he got ´cause it was made back when they were still made in the USA. I have an American made RG too. I preferred the American made ones (they just felt like they were built better when I compared them to the Hoshino ones at the time) but I think that Ibanez has totally stepped up their game on their axes in the last few years.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:25 pm Monday
November 10, 2008
The thing about Ibanez is you get what you pay for... That is, if you get a top-of-the-line guitar it will be a great guitar but if you get a lower end guitar it may or may not be a good guitar. I tell people if they only want to spend $300-700 Ibanez may not be the best value but if they´re going to get a prestige model it will be worth the money.

Before I got this I looked into a bunch of different guitars cause I was thinking I wanted something new but in the end I went for the tryed and true S series. I guess I´m just truely a S series type of guy. Wink

IT SHOULD BE HERE TOMORROW.... Cant Wait. Guitar Guitar Guitar Guitar Guitar Guitar
User Imagejeremy
6:45 pm Monday
November 10, 2008
Dude, post a video of that thing when you get it. Rip some leads for us.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:44 pm Tuesday
November 11, 2008
Sure, I´ll be doing a lesson soon with the new axe so you´ll get to hear it too. Thumbs Up
User Imagejeremy
6:18 pm Tuesday
November 11, 2008
Tight dude, tight!
User ImagePoint88
9:18 am Friday
November 14, 2008
That looks awesome man...would love to hear some licks of you on that. How do you like it?
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:50 pm Friday
November 14, 2008
Hi Point88,

Love it... I only got it yesterday but I played it all last night. Had to lower the action a little but other than that it´s totally kick ass. I´ll post some clips soon.