Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

finding the key

User Imagepo-man
3:39 pm Monday
February 9, 2009
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hey guys--Got this song the band has been working on.I´ve searched all the engines and cannot , for the life of me--figure out what the actual key is.Maybe you can help-as I´m running out of ideas for the solo--as well as the right harmonies.Verse dminor,fmajor,dminor ,gmajor,dminor,fmajor,bminor.
Chorus amajor,aminor,cmajor,bminor,aminor,gmajor,
solo-same chords as the verse
The song seems to shift key,which could also be why I´m having trouble.The guys don´t have any understanding of chord structure -or keys.Oddly enough I´ve managed to put together vocal melody that seems to work-but my ear and heart tell me that it doesn´t-especially when it comes to them harmonizing.And now I find myself soloing only around the tenth fret pentatonic-seems to fit everything but the bminor-I checked a lot of scales, harmonic minor, blues etc. but fear I will have to suffer with a three note repeating solo--eek.
User Imagejeremy
7:56 pm Monday
February 9, 2009
I´d probably rip a mixture of D Dorian and D Aeolian with some D blues licks in there as well over that verse chord progression. If I was at home right now I could lay down that progression and really work with it but that´s the best that I can some up with while sitting at my desk at work.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:00 pm Thursday
February 12, 2009
Missed this post before.... Sorry.

D minor, F major, D minor ,G major, D minor, F major, B minor (This section is pretty much key of C Major and/or D Dorian they use a B minor instead of a B diminished)

Chorus: A major, A minor, C major, B minor, A minor, G major (This section KEY = G Major. The A major as the first chord steps out but is usable as replacement of the A minor that is normally)

So you´re right in it shifts keys but not only that but it never really follows a key 100% so I can see why it would give you trouble.
User Imagepo-man
12:39 am Sunday
February 22, 2009
Thanks for the response guys.Been working on recording this nightmare at home now for a few days-taking a break to let my bleeding ears heal.That and I´m having a wake,for my harmonizer, that commited suicide in the process.I´m coping with the idea that this song was put together by some tone deaf band, with no regard for music theory.But with patience-numerous dirty looks from the wife and kid and a couple thousand cups of coffee/tea,I´m actually making it work.amazing what a little challenge will do to you.Again thanks for the knowledgeable response.
User Imagejeremy
6:42 pm Monday
February 23, 2009
I´ll say a prayer for your harmonizer.
User Imagebeerzerker
9:06 pm Friday
March 6, 2009
When in doubt just stick to chord tones. Wink

Guitar Thumbs Up
User ImageTweedPlayer