Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

guitar time?

User Imagejeremy
11:07 pm Monday
July 23, 2012
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Is it just me or are any of you other dudes having a hard time finding time to play the freakin´ guitar? I´m goin´ to a 4-year state university now to obtain a bachelor degree, working full-time, and taking care of my mother as well as a million other things like helping my wife prepare the way for my step-daughter to start her first semester at college. It´s like, when the hell am I supposed to play guitar anymore? Maybe when/if I retire?
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:23 am Monday
July 30, 2012
Yep me too. 3 kids and a huge amount of work running my business makes finding time very hard. I just played for about 45 minutes tonight, it was nice. I still sit down with a guitar for at least ten minutes almost every day but that is just enough time to practice the basics not really enough to come up with anything new or even really enjoy myself. In a month or two things should slow down a little so maybe I´ll get a chance to buckle down and work on some guitar.

I really either want to start recording some more or find some one to jam with. I need to do something to spice up my playing and get inspired again.

I´m thinking about getting a new guitar in the near future as that also inspires me sometimes. Wink
User Imagejeremy
10:25 pm Wednesday
August 22, 2012
Yeah, seriously. The other dudes on here must have it even worse than us. They can´t even find time to reply to this thread to tell us why they can´t find the time to play the guitar. I kid. But seriously, I´m thinking that if I don´t die before I get to retirement then that may be the next time in my life that I have the time to play like I did when I was younger.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:44 pm Saturday
August 25, 2012
Since you posted this I have been playing a lot more. I just have decided to MAKE time. I´m playing least least 45-60 minute everyday now, some days, when I do have time I´m doing even more.

I went and bought a bunch of guitar accessories restrung all my guitars... I started buying guitar magazines again, reorganized my studio and I´m even buying some new gear (Mackie ProFX12 Mixer is on the way to me now and I might pickup a POD HD Pro and pedal board).

I have my lick book and I writing new stuff in it again. I even making progress in my playing and song writing.

Guitar Guitar Guitar Guitar

I LOVE Guitar!!! I just had to remember how much Wink
User Imagejeremy
1:27 am Friday
September 21, 2012
That´s great to hear (read). I think that there will be a lot more guitar playing, lesson publishing, song learning, music studying, and songwriting in the next year for me. Not only has work and school been keeping me busy but I´ve also been a primary caregiver for my Mom over the past couple of years or so. Unfortunately, she´s at the end of life now. She´s been suffering from cancer and dementia. It´s been tough for her. To be slowly dying without knowing why or even understanding that she´s dying. In the past week or so she lost the ability to speak or even to stay awake. I´ve been sitting on her bed playing guitar for her ´cause I know that she can still hear the music. And I´m hoping that it´s making her feel better. When she´s gone, I´m gonna have more time for music and I´m pretty sure I´m gonna NEED to spend more time on music.
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:36 am Tuesday
September 25, 2012
Wow Jeremy, I´m so sorry to hear about your mom. That has to be very hard and its says great things about you that you are her caregiver at this point in her life. I think guitar and music can help, a little. When I lost my mother I did play a lot, wrote songs for her and things like that (that vid I posted called Eleanor was written for her and there are a few others I have not shared). I don´t know if I can say it made things any easier but it gave me something to do when I thought of her. My thoughts are with you and your family.

BTW - I´m still playing a lot. Moving into some new musical directions and making my own progress. Gotta keep moving and making progress right?
User Imagejeremy
12:44 am Tuesday
October 2, 2012
Thanks, Mike. My Mom actually passed away during the afternoon of the day that I made my previous post in this thread. It´s like I knew that she was gonna leave that day or something. I´m just starting to get back to work and school this week. It´s a tough experience to go through. The guitar helped me a lot though. The guitar can really be a calming device when you need it. Once I get things back together over here I´m gonna be playing a lot more.
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:27 pm Monday
October 8, 2012
I really am sorry for your loss. It is very sad and I wish you and your family healing and comfort. I don´t think there is anything I can say to make you feel better but I wish there was. Be strong man. My thoughts are with you.

Mike
User ImageFenderBender
8:00 pm Thursday
January 3, 2013
Jeremy -

I know this one is WAAAAY late but man, I´m really sorry to hear about your Mom. I lost my mother to cancer in 2006 and it was the toughest thing i´d ever been through so believe me when I tell you I feel ya brother.

Same thing with the time for the guitar. That´s kind of why I hopped back on here. You and Mike were (and apparently still are) the top 2 posters and had a LOT of good information for me when I started here. Hopefully the forums will pick up some more active members.

Again, my condolences to you and your family on the loss.

Peace!
Mark
User Imagejeremy
2:05 pm Sunday
July 14, 2013
This reply is gonna be late too, but... thanks, guys, for sharing your experiences and conveying your condolences. As I predicted, I´ve been playing a LOT more guitar now.

I´m currently working on a "reunion" project for my old Slayer cover band. The drummer who moved to Colorado is coming in for a visit next month. We compiled a list of 40 Slayer songs that we´re working on. We´re gonna have one rehearsal the week he´s visiting and then we´re gonna, hopefully, play at least one show before he leaves. I´m excited. I haven´t played a show in YEARS. It´s gonna be a tribute to Jeff Hanneman.