Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Please Help Me With this Lick!

Defualt User ImageIwantShred
9:25 pm Friday
June 16, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hello,

New here, cool place and wanted to ask those of you that CAN play and have been for years, to help me out with this lick.

I want to play it fast..really fast. I've been playing for a few years and i have alot of speed and can see that i'll have no problem reaching my goal since i've come a long way. I can do alot now and my speed is good and I can pick real well, fast and clean however the above lick has been giving me problems for years now and i'm fed up with it. i get fast with practice on anything except that particular lick. i can't tell exactly why i keep screwing it up but i'm just not getting it PLEASE help if you can do it or you're familiar with it. it's a mandatory pentatonic lick for being a bad ass. Jabs from the Scorpions does it the best and he uses it in just about every solo. what i need to know, from those that know this lick and i assume someone here has to Smile, is the following:

1. how to start the picking upstroke or downstroke
2. how to pick the 3rd (g) string, how to approach that after the hammer on on the b string? Upstroke or downstroke?
3. which finger to use for the g string note..pinky or ring finger. i've tried both and it's the same result.
4. i'd love to hear samples if possible please slow and fast

Is there a trick to this lick that i'm not getting? Thanks in advance.
User ImageT.A.Z
8:21 am Thursday
July 20, 2006
Hey there IwantShred welcome to GKN!

About this lick your right it is a must lick to being a bad ass rock player!! It is incredibly simple though.

I personally do this lick with my second finger on the G string on the 7th fret, then use my first finger at the 5th fret on the B string, and my third finger on the 8th fret.

As for picking patterns, using hammer-ons and pull-offs i'd pick the G string with a downstroke and then follow the B string with a downstroke. Perform the hammer-on and pull-offs then continue with the pattern. Or if you prefer to pick everything start with a downstroke and just pick up-down-up-down in succession.

As for sound samples i would give some however i cant record anything just yet because my soundcard is knackered on the computer. I'm sure someone else here could help you out with that though.

Hope this helps you and good luck! Very happy Thumbs Up
6:09 pm Wednesday
August 2, 2006
Quote From WildSideHamster:
Hey there IwantShred welcome to GKN!

About this lick your right it is a must lick to being a bad ass rock player!! It is incredibly simple though.

I personally do this lick with my second finger on the G string on the 7th fret, then use my first finger at the 5th fret on the B string, and my third finger on the 8th fret.

As for picking patterns, using hammer-ons and pull-offs i'd pick the G string with a downstroke and then follow the B string with a downstroke. Perform the hammer-on and pull-offs then continue with the pattern. Or if you prefer to pick everything start with a downstroke and just pick up-down-up-down in succession.

As for sound samples i would give some however i cant record anything just yet because my soundcard is knackered on the computer. I'm sure someone else here could help you out with that though.

Hope this helps you and good luck! Very happy Thumbs Up

Thanks for the warm welcome. i've been improving on it but it's still kicking by butt it's not simple for me. like i said before this is the only lick that i've practiced alot on and i still can't take off.

thanks for all the help guys.
7:12 pm Sunday
September 3, 2006
Alright, thought I'd drop in with an update and some tips since I got it LICKED.. Since it took me this long to figure out and after finding out it's a tough lick, after talking to a few guitar players, i thought i'd let you all know what i found out. the trick to this lick is to pull-off like a gorilla on that G note on the B string. seems that my hammer-ons and pull-offs were weak. imagine that even after all these years of practicing.

it was a painful journey with hand pains and soreness for 2 weeks but i thought i'd stick with it even with the pain and it paid off. it feels good to figure stuff out on your own. now no pains and ALL gain and i got it down real good. so that's the trick to this not the fingering or the approach, picking up or down. it's all in the pulling-off on that g that makes a world of difference. never thought about it since i thought my hands were strong enough after 7 years of playing boy was i wrong.

i'll put up some samples as soon as i record them..promise.