Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Focus

Defualt User Imagespencevie
6:38 pm Monday
June 26, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hi, I'm new here. I have called upon the help of others because I have an overall lack of focus on the guitar lately. It's not because I'm tired of it. It's just my brain comes out of focus. I (not to be selfish) think I have excellent chops at my age and I do teach beginner guitar lessons. I've just been having a lot of trouble when it comes to advanced theory. I just can't seem to sit down and learn. Any help?
User ImageBillyJack
10:43 pm Monday
June 26, 2006
Hi spencevie,
Welcome to GKN forum!

I think I know what you mean. I go numb sometimes and can't make my brain hook on subject. Has nothing to do with being tired of art just like you said "can't focus" My advice is go light! Choose a point of theory and do some light reading. Don't try too hard to pick it apart just breeze through the material and move on. I have collected quite a library of theory related books, magazines and internet book marks doing this and what I've found is, at some point something will kick start my brain and all of a sudden I can't get enough information.

Another thing is to relax and go back to the basics for a bit. Give your batteries a chance to recharge.

Again WELCOME TO GKN FORUM! Post often, we look forward to hearing from you.
User ImageT.A.Z
8:05 am Thursday
July 20, 2006
Quote From BillyJack:
Hi spencevie,
Welcome to GKN forum!

I think I know what you mean. I go numb sometimes and can't make my brain hook on subject. Has nothing to do with being tired of art just like you said "can't focus" My advice is go light! Choose a point of theory and do some light reading. Don't try too hard to pick it apart just breeze through the material and move on. I have collected quite a library of theory related books, magazines and internet book marks doing this and what I've found is, at some point something will kick start my brain and all of a sudden I can't get enough information.

Another thing is to relax and go back to the basics for a bit. Give your batteries a chance to recharge.

Again WELCOME TO GKN FORUM! Post often, we look forward to hearing from you.

I agree completely BillyJack, to add i'd say to play some older stuff that you've already learnt to try and inspire you, or do the complete opposite! learn something totally different and new. For example i've been having the same problem for a while and after listening to Smooth by Santana i suddenly wanted to start learning more again. I found some great video lessons and tutorials for it and i'm just really enjoying playing again now!

Also big welcome from me to spencevie! Very happy