Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Daily Practice Sessions?

User ImageMike Lindyn
11:15 pm Wednesday
July 12, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
What are your practice sessions like and what are you working on now?
User ImageBillyJack
6:12 am Thursday
July 13, 2006
Still taking a break! Laughing (7 months and counting)
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:44 am Thursday
July 13, 2006
really y?
User ImageBillyJack
8:59 am Thursday
July 13, 2006
Burned out I guess. Found myself going in circles and getting nowhere. I still play tunes from time to time just no practice/study sessions.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:03 am Thursday
July 13, 2006
Ah ok I thought you were saying you gave up playing all together. Shocked

I have a warmup thing that I do every time I pick up the guitar. It take about 20 minutes so you might say that's my practice time.

I'm also working on learning a few things at the moment so I guess that could also be considered practice.

However I spend most of my time with the guitar coming up with new stuff and playing my old tunes.

And of couse I do a lot of noodling too. Very happy
User ImageT.A.Z
8:00 am Thursday
July 20, 2006
Been taking it easy on the practicing lately. Joined a band and had to spend time learning their set, then left em and just been taking it easy. Starting to get back into it a little bit more now though.

Right now im working on my picking and legato playing as always. Writing more of my own material ready for a new band project im starting, and learning 'Smooth' by Santana which is a really great tune!
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:00 pm Thursday
July 20, 2006
Hey the band thing takes practice too Wink Make sure you post a link to your band stuff here I'd really like to here it.
User ImageT.A.Z
2:47 pm Thursday
July 20, 2006
Quote From lindyn:
Hey the band thing takes practice too Wink Make sure you post a link to your band stuff here I'd really like to here it.

Nah the band stuff didnt take too much practicing really. And when i get some stuff sorted i will do.
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:34 pm Thursday
July 20, 2006
Can't Wait Thumbs Up
Defualt User ImageWorldDecay
11:04 am Saturday
July 22, 2006
Still organizing my practice list.

Right now , idon't practice at all..i'm working on my demo and albu m..so i guess my practice comes from there.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:04 pm Saturday
July 22, 2006
Wow it looks like a lot of you are pulling together recording projects. Very happy
User Imagejeremy
11:46 pm Monday
July 24, 2006
My practicing is not really about drills so much as it is about transcribing or learning from ptabs that dudes already got together and jamming on the tunes that I learn.

Right now I'm into G1 a lot. I've always liked the Soloing Strategies department. I read through those and learn the solo at the end. I have the CD ROM's and I check out how the dude on there plays it and then I learn it. For some reason I'm just really into that right now.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:35 am Tuesday
July 25, 2006
What is G1?
User ImageNate
11:42 am Tuesday
July 25, 2006
Guitar One, the magazine maybe? Confused

I could be wrong though!
User Imagejeremy
9:08 pm Tuesday
July 25, 2006
Yeah, I meant Guitar One. I know a lot of dudes hate all the magazines but I actually like to read them and I'm into some of the lessons.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:25 pm Wednesday
July 26, 2006
Aw I should have been able to figure that out. :oops:
User ImageStevenMikel
6:40 am Sunday
September 3, 2006
Daily practice sessions

I run through excersises I learned from Steve Vai's ten hour work out and this site then,I run scales in the key of whatever song I'm going to be learning,then I do the same thing with arppegios.
User ImageFenderBender
3:50 pm Saturday
September 16, 2006
with the help of the practicing scales section
http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/GKN_Lesson_Zone/index.htm
I've been doing these exercises and some of the run exercises that are in the other post. I'll do those until I get bored and start turning them into riffs or I stray into a song....

then I'll focus on what i want to learn, be it a song or a lick or whatever... I try not to stress on any one thing too long. For example, there is a quick turnaround in "mary had a little lamb" by SRV that I just couldn't get down.. I tried it for 2 weeks and practiced just the lick for another week. Just couldn't get it.. when I forgot about it, it just came to me.. I'll post powertab for the lick.. very cool blues lick and SRV used it alot.

So a practice session could go from anywhere between 1/2 an hour up to 3 hours depending on what kind of time i have and what's going on in the house. I also use my PX-4 to learn a lot of things... fun toy and keeps practicing fun..

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=PX4D&category_id=6
this is a step up from what I have but it models a ton of amps. has backing tracks, metronome, tuner, line in, recorder etc etc etc....
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:46 pm Sunday
September 17, 2006
I heard this interview with Branford Marsalis and the interviewer asked something like "What were you thinking about when you were playing that song?"

His answer was he wasn't thinking about anything he was just reacting. He also said that when he practices he thinks a lot about what it is he is doing but when he plays he just reacts to the music around him.

I bring this up because it is exactly the way I approach practice and playing but I never thought of it in such simple terms.

If you'd like to here his interview you can get to it here http://www.here-now.org/shows/2006/09/20060912_17.asp
User ImageFenderBender
4:18 pm Tuesday
September 19, 2006
I know exactly what you mean.. and I love that feeling.. I search for that feeling where you just get lost in the mddle of what's going on with everyone playing.. totally awesome! only happens occasionally.

I was jamming with a bunch of friends on an original song by a friend of mine and I did a turnaround in it that I swear I don't remember but it was damn sweet...

If you're a tenacious G fan you'll laugh when I screamed at Bill "Always record... ALWAYS RECORD!"
"It looked like it was on..."

one of those you had to be there moments... pretty funny
User ImageOlmonatron
5:22 pm Monday
October 16, 2006
Right now I'm practicing all my scales. I really want to be able to learn the entire fretboard in a scale, and not just the box root position. So I've been playing scale fragments in triplets and making little drills out of it on different sets of strings and in different positions and such. It's so fucking hard to be fluent around the fretboard!

That and I'm trying to learn Symphony X's Inferno. I love that song.
User ImageOlmonatron
5:27 pm Monday
October 16, 2006
Quote From FenderBender:

If you're a tenacious G fan you'll laugh when I screamed at Bill "Always record... ALWAYS RECORD!"
"It looked like it was on..."

one of those you had to be there moments... pretty funny

Tenacious G?
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:57 pm Monday
October 16, 2006
Quote From Olmonatron:
Right now I'm practicing all my scales. I really want to be able to learn the entire fretboard in a scale, and not just the box root position. So I've been playing scale fragments in triplets and making little drills out of it on different sets of strings and in different positions and such. It's so fucking hard to be fluent around the fretboard!

Thats exactly what you should be doing. Learning your fretboard and getting out of box form fingerings is very important and it sound like you are on the right path.

Symphony X is sick. Michael Romeo has so instructional stuff on google video and youtube that you may find very helpful.
User ImageOlmonatron
1:14 am Tuesday
October 17, 2006
Quote From lindyn"][quote:54323fca24="Olmonatron:

Thats exactly what you should be doing. Learning your fretboard and getting out of box form fingerings is very important and it sound like you are on the right path.

Symphony X is sick. Michael Romeo has so instructional stuff on google video and youtube that you may find very helpful.
You live in Mesa? I went to ASU for 2 years and I plan on going back to go to the Conservatory of Recording Arts right there in Mesa. Aww, I miss Arizona.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:52 pm Tuesday
October 17, 2006
Right on, I'm a programmer for asu. Also my old townhouse is right next to Conservatory of Recording Arts. So it seems we hang in the same areas.

Howdy neighbor! Thumbs Up