Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

BACKING TRACKS

User Imagejeremy
4:28 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
I searched around this forum for any discussion about backing tracks but I didnt find much so I figured Id fire this thread up.

I wanna get backing tracks for me and another guitar player to jam to (basically just the drums for the cover songs that we work on).

Im starting to look into finding or creating these backing tracks. Ive found a couple sites that have lots of free tracks. And Ive discussed this with dudes on other boards and learned how some of them create their own tracks using stuff like Guitar Pro, Cakewalk and Drumkit From Hell.

So, just for even more reference, how do you dudes go about getting or creating backing tracks? Any good sites or any other types of software or different methods of making your own?
User ImageBillyJack
7:38 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
ON THE HIGHER END: $1500 ~ $2500
For recording/backing = Protools or Steinberg Nuendo (Top of the line but, both require deep pockets for additional gear)

Middle of the road: $500~$700
For writting/backing/recording = Cubase SX, Finale or Cakewalk (Do it all softwares. Handy but some (little bit) quallity lose)
For backing only and my #1 suggestion = Propellerheads Reason (reasonable price Awesome sound quality. Limited to backing but does one of hell of a job of it)

For live backing I'd suggest the Keytron XD3. (Next on my want list)
http://www.ketronus.com/xd3.html
I'm currently using a Farfisa 7X-II arranger simular to the Keytron (older technology) I'm about to sale. ($600-US$)
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:10 pm Thursday
August 10, 2006
For the most part I can get what I need through http://www.guitarbt.com/ they have a bunch of satch and other stuff I'm into.

There was a Backing Tracks section in this forum but another site owner I know got into some copywrite problems about his bt section and I took mine down too.
User Imagejeremy
7:37 pm Thursday
August 10, 2006
Tight. That guitarbt site is one of the ones that I found that I liked. In fact, I think it was the ONLY one that I liked. And they have a pretty good selection of stuff.

BillyJack, are you talking about Propellerheads Reason 3.0? I just read some reviews about it but I'm not really sure how you would use that to make backing tracks. Not that I'm doubting that you can, it's just that I can't find any info about how you would do that with the software. But I might wanna look into making my own backing tracks at some point. Can you make backing tracks with Cakewalk? 'Cause I have that.
User ImageBillyJack
10:35 pm Thursday
August 10, 2006
Calkwalk works fine for playing/creating back tracks in MIDI or Audio. You get what you pay for as far as quality though. Now if you have CW Sonar, I've heard it has stepped the qualilty quite a bit.

Reason has one of the best sound engines I've heard. It's a full rack of gear that includes samplers, synths, drum machine, loop player, sequencer, effects and merger all on a rack that opperates like a real rack of gear. You even do the cable routing on the back of the unit just like a real rack. You're right though, it has no recording media but, your Cakewalk will work for that.

I've had my recording software so long, I forgot it wasn't part of reason. Confused
User Imagejeremy
11:48 pm Thursday
August 10, 2006
Dang... so I can use Cakewalk to make tracks. I'm gonna look at that when I get home and see how you go about doing that.
User Imagejeremy
11:08 pm Friday
June 1, 2007
I never DID get into making backing tracks but now I'm thinking about it again. Except this time I wanna make backing tracks without drums for my nephew to drum along to. I need to start learning how to do this.