Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Speed Game Results, Updates and Discussion

User ImageBillyJack
4:30 pm Wednesday
August 9, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
7 seconds :oops: Root 4, 2nd Inversion gets me everytime.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:41 pm Wednesday
August 9, 2006
I'll be working on this tonight. Thumbs Up
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:59 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
Got the Dorian 4 seconder down clean. And I'm very very close with the 3 seconder already.

You're right about that Root 4 2nd Inversion. It took me a couple of trys to get past that part (This is also the section i flub for the 3 second test). The part that makes it trick is the transition from the b to e strings.

I know can get the 2 second test on this all I have to do is work at it for a few hours.
User Imagejeremy
3:24 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
You guys are nuts. It's crazy to me that you sit around and think about comin' up with stuff like this. But next time I have a guitar in my hands I'll try it.
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:33 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
Quote From Mallard:
You guys are nuts. It's crazy to me that you sit around and think about comin' up with stuff like this. But next time I have a guitar in my hands I'll try it.

I know its sad right? :oops:

But what you don't know is this is just one small step in my goal of world domination!!!! Shocked HA HA HA HA! :twisted:
User Imagejeremy
4:06 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
Are you guys creating a guitar army? 'Cause I'd be into that.
User ImageBillyJack
11:06 am Thursday
August 10, 2006
4seconds? Damn I have to work on my mechanics. I can nail 5 seconds about 7 out of 10 times. It's just I hit that Root 4 and get clumsy. In my case it's not the string transition, it's simply too much time spent in theory and not enough on application.

Quote From Mallard:
Are you guys creating a guitar army? 'Cause I'd be into that.
"Viva La Revolution"
User ImageBillyJack
1:28 pm Monday
August 14, 2006
Well guys, there's 4 of the 7 Major Modes to work on. I'll try to get the other 3 up in the next day or two ....or three.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:04 pm Monday
August 14, 2006
Ha ha something new to play with, alright! I'll post my results late tonight when I get the chance to play with this.
User ImageBillyJack
4:29 pm Monday
August 14, 2006
Well there's you one more.
User ImageT.A.Z
10:23 am Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Give me half an hour and I'll let ya know my results Laughing
User ImageBillyJack
10:38 am Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Cool WildSide Look forward to it!

Just ran through them and here's my update:
Ionian=4
Dorian=5
Phrygian=7
Lydian=7
Mixolydian=7

Man I've got to get to practicing more! :oops:
User ImageT.A.Z
10:55 am Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Change of results, I've just read the idea properly LMAO i only went one way through the scales I'm gonna sort this out now!! Laughing
User ImageBillyJack
11:38 am Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Quote From WildSideHamster:
Change of results, I've just read the idea properly LMAO i only went one way through the scales I'm gonna sort this out now!! Laughing
I started to make it one way only but two things changed my mind.

1st = The mechanics of working up and down the patterns is a little more intense than just one way.

2nd = I'd have have to break it down to fractions of a second and create more levels for some of you speed demonds! Very happy I've already used up one 10meg domain with what's up there already and about to add 400k more to another one to put the other two modes in. I haven't even begun doing individual scales yet so, I have to avoid adding more levels to save room for them.
User ImageT.A.Z
11:54 am Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Ok then my real results lol...

Ionian - 3 seconds
Dorian - 3 seconds (Sooooooooooooooooooooooo close to 2!!)
Lydian - 2 seconds
Mixlydian - 3 seconds (Even closer to 2!!!)

Oh the phrygian one doesnt work!! And i can't wait for the rest of these!! They're great fun and a great way to learn.

Heres an idea for one too, maybe pick a key, say C cause its easiest Smile then go through the different modes, i.e. C Ionian/C Dorian/C Phrygian etc...
User ImageBillyJack
12:50 pm Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Quote From WildSideHamster:
Ok then my real results lol...

Ionian - 3 seconds
Dorian - 3 seconds (Sooooooooooooooooooooooo close to 2!!)
Lydian - 2 seconds
Mixlydian - 3 seconds (Even closer to 2!!!)

Man ya'll make me feel bad! Kicking my butt at my own game.

[quote:57ddfa178e]

Oh the phrygian one doesnt work!! And i can't wait for the rest of these!! They're great fun and a great way to learn.

Got the links fixed. Thanks!

[quote:57ddfa178e]Heres an idea for one too, maybe pick a key, say C cause its easiest Smile then go through the different modes, i.e. C Ionian/C Dorian/C Phrygian etc... Great idea! I could use the 5 fret patterns I already have and just add fret markers but, I'd want to use at least a 16 fret board so you could see all inversions and each pattern's relationships to one another. That'll make for much bigger files and I don't know if I have the storage. I've only got 40meg total to upload to and I've taken up 10.4 with the game already.

:twisted: Might have to send Mike a disc and let him eat up his space :twisted:
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:24 pm Tuesday
August 15, 2006
I fell asleep late night at 8:30 Shocked so I didn't get the chance to play with this I'll try to get to it tonight. Gotta try and match wildside now too.
User ImageT.A.Z
2:03 pm Tuesday
August 15, 2006
Quote From BillyJack:
Man ya'll make me feel bad! Kicking my butt at my own game.

Dude its just practice, I've already been through the modes at a comfortable speed and its probably around abou the 3 second mark anyway, so it kinda came as second nature to me Wink

Out of interest where abouts are you guys playing these shapes?? I'm trying to play them all in the first 5 frets, however obviously when i play them higher up the neck it makes it a lot easier to get the speed up.

Oh and my best time on the Phryigian Mode is 3 seconds
User ImageBillyJack
2:25 pm Tuesday
August 15, 2006
I'm playing where ever my hand happens to land. I get my best speeds out of around the 7th fret.

[quote:cf9edfea28]Dude its just practice
That's definately my weakness.
User ImageT.A.Z
5:20 am Wednesday
August 16, 2006
Well after practising for about an hour and a half last nite on this, i picked it up this morning and after a few tries I've gotten the Ionian and Dorian modes down to 2 seconds! Cool This is great fun, even though I've got it at 2 seconds i can still practice it at that speed, and of course i have the other modes to go through too Very happy

Thanks BillyJack this was a great idea!

Oh and maybe an easier way to do these would be to keep them all in a zip file, maybe a zip file for each mode, then post that so we can download them and keep them on our computers and it wont eat up your space as much either.

Also how did you go about making these? I'd be glad to put one or two together for you if you don't have the time Very happy
User ImageBillyJack
8:20 am Wednesday
August 16, 2006
Thanks for the offer to help! What I'm doing to put them together is, I built 2 templets in PhotoShop 7. One for the 12 interval markers (each with its own layer) and one for the fret board (with a layered space for the title and one for the inversion). Then I used Image Ready (an accompaniment software to PhotoShop) to set each interval on the fret board where it belongs for each inversion/frame, title, and animate them.

If you have PhotoShop and understand what I'm doing, I'd be glad to email you the templets.

Under one condition:
I get to freely use anything you create on a project I'm working on.
User ImageT.A.Z
2:30 pm Wednesday
August 16, 2006
I have Photoshop 7 myself BillyJack, so yeah i understand what your talking about Smile

And yeah if you'd like me to help you, you can certainly use anything I help ya with Very happy
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:38 pm Wednesday
August 16, 2006
Ionian - 3 seconds
Dorian - 4 seconds still that same spot is giving me trouble
Lydian - 3 seconds
Mixlydian - didn't do yet
User ImageBillyJack
6:29 pm Wednesday
August 16, 2006
Hey WildSide,
I PMed you the templets and what I have in mind!
User ImageBillyJack
3:14 pm Thursday
August 17, 2006
Alright guys, The Aeolian Mode is up and running!

:twisted: Have fun with this one!

7 seconds
User ImageT.A.Z
10:31 am Friday
August 18, 2006
Thanks BillyJack, I love this mode!! 3 Seconds, I'll give 2 seconds a go on sunday when i get a day of work Smile
User ImageBillyJack
3:48 pm Friday
August 18, 2006
Well, we're all up and running! Now all 7 modes are ready. Let's see what you got.
User ImageT.A.Z
5:49 am Sunday
August 20, 2006
Thanks again for the time put into this BillyJack!!

I'll post my results later when i can play Very happy
User ImageBillyJack
12:47 pm Sunday
August 20, 2006
Did some reviewing last night and realized I had missed some single note inversion differences on alot of the exercises. They're fixed now and should(?) have every possible 5 fret inversion there is for each mode.

Now on to the scales! Cry Very happy
Defualt User ImageCOB_rules
11:52 am Wednesday
August 30, 2006
Hey guys!

Im new here but I find this website extremly useful and this exercise in particular is gonna force me to learn modes....

Im still working on getting ionian right (I dont know all the inversions by heart) but as I learn these Ill post my results here

Just to let billyjack know that his efforts are appreciated by alot of lurkers Smile

Happy pickin' !
User ImageBillyJack
1:04 pm Wednesday
August 30, 2006
It's good to know more members are getting something out of it than just these "OLD' string stretchers! :twisted:

Welcome to the board!
User ImageBillyJack
12:49 pm Tuesday
February 6, 2007
I've had all 7 modes up since Aug of last year and just found out today that I had addressed the Aeolian and Locrian Practice Sheets incorrectly. This tells me either they're not being used or the members that need it haven't gotten that far.

Either way------> Cry

BTW, 4 seconds across the board. 3 on the Ionian Dorian and Phrygian on a good day.
User ImageT.A.Z
6:39 am Friday
February 9, 2007
Hey BillyJack I'm just getting back into the swing of some serious practicing so I'll be hanging out here a lot more in the future.

First thing I've done is download all of the mode games, I'm gonna look at maybe putting them onto a DVD disc in some way to play through my TV. I'll let ya know how that turns out.

By the way, I don't suppose you have the original game on your hard drive still do ya?? If you do, could you email me them please??
User ImageBillyJack
8:53 am Friday
February 9, 2007
Hey WideSide!
I was wondering where you got off to.

If you've downloaded all the levels and practice sheets from the game thread then, you have what I have as far as the graphics go. I have just started on the next evolution but it's not near ready yet. There's a link below to a sample I've uploaded to OneTrueMedia for you to try out. Now this is still in the rough you should be able to get an idea of what I'm working on. Once I'm done and saticfied with it, you will be able to run it on DVD. Still have a lot of R&D to do though.

This sample uses the graphics of speed level 5, Ionian Mode of the Speed Game just as it is in the game thread. The difference is, I've put audio behind it in the key of "C" (the sample's audio is rough and all in the same octave, I just threw it together to give you an idea of what I'm doing). The reason I say it's not for begineers is because you have to know note location without taking time to look at the neck. There's no pause between inversions.

Here what's going to happen when you click the link. First the "Ready" "3" "2" "1" "GO", same as in the game thread. Just before the "3" the audio will come in and play C Ionian one time time before it gets to "GO" so you get a feel for the pace and then it loops without pause throughout the entire exercise till it says "STOP".

Here's the link! Have fun with it. (If you're on a slow connection, you might have to pause and wait till it loads to play through it.)
C Ionian Game Link
This is not for begineers, even though that's who I usually target in my lessons. For begineers and those just starting to be innermediate players, here's you a tip:
As the pattern drops down to the next string, the 1st inversion on that string will always be 3 notes "ROOT" "Major 2nd" "Major 3rd" in the Ionian exercise.
User ImageT.A.Z
4:48 am Saturday
February 10, 2007
Thats a Great Idea man, can i ask, how have you gone about making that, its a great idea!!

What would be good, but time consuming, if we were to have all the modes in all the speeds done like that with and without the audio, so as your learning them then you could practice with the audio, then as you become more comfortable with the speed you could try without the audio on your own you know.

Like I said it would be time consuming but if you give some idea as to how you wen t about doing it I could give it a go myself.
User ImageBillyJack
7:25 am Saturday
February 10, 2007
What I did for the sample audio was use the piano roll out of Cakewalk Pro and typed in the scale one time. Then converted it from midi to wav audio file. After I had the gif files and the audio sample completed, I just took them over to Windows Movie Maker and lined them up for the one I posted. I had to go back and forth on the audio software adjusting tempo till it lined up with the timing on the first frame of the exercise and then dubed it for all the frames in the set.

Little bit of a pain in the rear but, not as bad as it sounds.
User ImageBillyJack
2:49 pm Saturday
February 10, 2007
Here's a look at the new graphics.

Click here to see it play through on One True Media
It's not very big on One True Media and if you inlarge it, it gets burry. On DVD, it fills the TV screen and is as clear as the picture above. I'm kind of pumped up about it!
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:12 am Sunday
February 11, 2007
Very nice work.

The video is a little small but you know that already. The water background is a nice touch. Very cool.
User ImageBillyJack
12:51 pm Sunday
February 11, 2007
Thanks Mike!

I've got them done except for Aeolian and Locrian. Should have them by tonight. I'm gonna change the background up a bit. Each mode will have a different backdrop image that reminds me of that specific mode. Kind of like relating a mode to a feeling, I'm gonna try to give it a visual reference.

I posted a question on IBM to see what images those guys would relate to each mode and would like some input from the GKN crowd.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Ionian = Kids playing in field
Dorian = may keep the lake image for this one
Phrygian = Some sort of magic
Lydian = Bright sunrise
Mixolydian = Clouds / or Angels
Aeolian = Sherlock Holms type image
Locrian =Someone cruising down an empty highway

NOTE: I know post wise we've not been very active lately but, come on lurkers, what do you guys think?
User ImageT.A.Z
3:54 am Monday
February 12, 2007
I think its great BillyJack!! It looks really good, and the idea of different pics for each mode is a great idea, but I think that each picture should kinda produce the same feel as the mode, for example the idea of Kids playing on the Ionian mode, yeah, but how about for say Phrygian, maybe a picture of a big wide open desert 'cause it kinda gives of an arabic/egyptian kinda sound. Know what I mean?
User ImageBillyJack
6:43 am Monday
February 12, 2007
Great, the desert! I like that, done deal.

Phrygian = Desert
What about the other 6? That's why I posted. I want some input on all 7.
User Imagejeremy
7:07 pm Monday
February 12, 2007
That looks pretty cool. The graphics that you use for your guitar necks and the notes an' all that look pretty cool for some reason. And with the added background stuff it looks even cooler.
User ImageBillyJack
7:51 am Wednesday
February 14, 2007
Thanks Mallard,
The complete exercise takes about 20 minutes to go through so, I'm trying to make it as comfortable on the eyes and ears as possible.
User ImageBillyJack
8:00 am Wednesday
February 14, 2007
Hey Mike,
Check your Messages.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:42 am Wednesday
February 14, 2007
Quote From BillyJack:
Hey Mike,