Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

scale patterns

User ImageFenderBender
2:17 pm Sunday
September 10, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Here's the question.... I'm looking for either:

scales patterns that will mix a few forms of either 2 scales or just forms of scales into what I refer to as "rolling" solo parts. I've tabbed out in Powertab 2 sections of the pent scale that I've been practicing in notes of 4 each rolling from the high E to low...
so they go 1234 - 2345 - 3456 - 4567..

So I'm looking for ways to join them so I can use them in solos or just into exercises that will get me moving along the fretboard.. I can move in the one pattern fairly well but I can't mix them yet to really bring some life to a solo or just a jam..

btw - this WAS a long convoluded post before so those of you that caught all that bs.. sorry!

here's the ptab file..
btw - that program ROCKS!!!
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:36 pm Monday
September 11, 2006
I hope I understand what you're asking but if I do... Here are a couple for ya:

Code:

# 1 (mix 2 scales forms) (ionian box, ionian 3 note-per string)

------------------------------------------------5-7-8-----
-----------------------------------------5-7-8------------
--------------------2-4-5--------4-5-7-------------------
-------------2-4-5--------4-5-7-------------------------
------2-3-5-----------------------------------------------
-3-5------------------------------------------------------

#2 (Same idea as you're example only with the major scale)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------2------2-4----2-4-5-----
------------------------2------2-4---2-4-5-2-4-5----4-5------5----------
------2-3---2-3-5-2-3-5---3-5------5------------------------------------
-3-5------5----------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------2-----2-3-----------
--------3------3-5---3-5---3-5--------------
--2-4-5---4-5------5-------------------------
---------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

User ImageFenderBender
9:10 am Tuesday
September 12, 2006
These are exactly what I was looking for... I refer to them as "runs". It seemed to fit because of the way I was trying to walk up the scale....

Is there a section I could read on this or did you just construct these? If so, how did you build them? I'm still learning a little theory and the idea of steps.... Can I apply that to what I'm looking to create?
For example: If I used 2 scales that fit togther... Maj / Minor in same key.. as long as they lay on top or next to each other on the fret board.. would I build those runs using a step approach? (does this even make sense to you? I need to get a better vocabulary with this... )
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:19 pm Tuesday
September 12, 2006
Yeah "runs" are the common term for phrases like this.

The way these are developed is just through the use of the major scale. It's nothing too theory based just a different way at looking at the scales.

The two lessons I would suggest about this are in the Lesson Zone ( http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/GKN_Lesson_Zone/index.htm ) under the lesson titles Different Ways To Practice Scales Part 1 and Part 2. Part 2 has this page ( http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/GKN_Lesson_Zone/Lesson3Music.html ) which can be very helpful for different ways of looking at each scale.

Mike
User ImageFenderBender
12:56 pm Thursday
September 14, 2006
these are awesome! funny thing is I think I read this before on your site and it never clicked as to what I was looking to do.

Let me play with these a bit and I'm sure I'll have more questions... you really have no idea what you've started... :twisted:
User Imagejeremy
8:35 pm Thursday
September 14, 2006
Nice. I really liked the idea of playing the scales in 3rds and 4ths that he has on there. I never thought of practicing it like that before but now I do it every time I warm up.
User ImageFenderBender
5:39 pm Friday
September 22, 2006
Ok - just a little update to this.. I've been playing around with the scales and such as Mike showed me and damn you lyndin if I don't have carpal tunnel from not wanting to put my guitar down!!!!

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I definetly got a lot out of the lesson and it's opening up new ways to play for me. They are tough patterns to get used to (at least for me) but then again, so was the pent major when I started that Laughing
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:11 am Saturday
September 23, 2006
Right on!

Are you doing these with other mode forms too? All the examples in that lesson are shown for only one fingering of the major scale but you should take the same interval sequences and apply them to every fingering of the major scale of the major scale.

For example the A dorian mode in thirds would work out like this:

Code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------5-----7--5--9--- SO ON
-------------------------------5-----7--5--9--7------9-----------------------
-------------5-----7--5--9--7-----9--------------------------------------------
---5--8--7-----8--------------------------------------------------------------

For example the B phrygian mode in thirds would work out like this:

Code:

----------------------------------------------------7-----9--7--11--- SO ON
--------------------------------7-----9--7--10--9------10-----------------------
--------------7-----9--7--10--9-----10--------------------------------------------
---7--10--8-----10--------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have all the examples down for the major/minor scale modes you can move on to other scale such as harmonic minor & its modes.
User ImageFenderBender
9:26 pm Saturday
September 23, 2006
Nope - so far just with the major scale. I still feel like I'm stuttering through them even at slow paces which is why I'm so determined to get it down. Maybe I should do a few other forms (use my own friggin advice and leave it alone for a bit and come back to it Razz ) there is also the fact that I don't know any other scales besides the pent and one form of the major. I need to get the others down so the forms don't look so alien to me.

I've also been playing with powertab trying to learn how to setup that blues lick I mentioned in another post. I'm also doing the 1234 -2345 ptb files for a few other scales that you have shown. I'll post em' when they're done. Let me know what you think - You're welcome to post them or whatever if they're any good.
User Imagejeremy
12:44 am Sunday
September 24, 2006
Since Mike (is it okay to call him "Mike") put together the Harmonic Minor stuff in the Scales in Tab section I've been gettin' real nervous with that stuff. I opened up all kinds of doors in my head that involve the Harmonic Minor. I've dicked around with the Harmonic Minor forever but I never got serious about it. Then he put that up and it kinda jump started me into it. Like ripples in a pool, you know?
User ImageFenderBender
6:53 pm Sunday
September 24, 2006
totally dude - went from one thing to the next really quickly once I saw those...
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:36 am Tuesday
September 26, 2006
Quote From FenderBender:
Nope - so far just with the major scale. I still feel like I'm stuttering through them even at slow paces which is why I'm so determined to get it down. Maybe I should do a few other forms (use my own friggin advice and leave it alone for a bit and come back to it Razz ) there is also the fact that I don't know any other scales besides the pent and one form of the major. I need to get the others down so the forms don't look so alien to me.

I've also been playing with powertab trying to learn how to setup that blues lick I mentioned in another post. I'm also doing the 1234 -2345 ptb files for a few other scales that you have shown. I'll post em' when they're done. Let me know what you think - You're welcome to post them or whatever if they're any good.

Cool post them up I'd be interested in trying them out. Smile

Its hard when you first start learning these fingerings because there are just so many of the mode forms. You already know the first (Ionian) because its the one these exercises were based off of. The next two mode forms you should work with are the Phrygian and Aeolian. These three scale forms place the major scale over the length of the fretboard and are all you really need to know.

Code:

Ionian

----------------------------------2-3-5-3-2------------------------------------
-----------------------------3-5-------------5-3------------------------------
----------------------2-4-5----------------------5-4-2--------------------------
---------------2-4-5------------------------------------5-4-2-------------------
--------2-3-5--------------------------------------------------5-3-2------------
---3-5-----------------------------------------------------------------5-3----

Code:

Phrygian

-------------------------------------7-8-10-8-7------------------------------------
-----------------------------7-8-10--------------10-8-7-----------------------------
------------------------7-9-----------------------------9-7--------------------------
-----------------7-9-10--------------------------------------10-9-7-------------------
---------7-9-10----------------------------------------------------10-9-7------------
-7-8-10--------------------------------------------------------------------10-8-7----

Code:

Aeolian

----------------------------------------------12-14-15-14-12-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------12-13-15------------------15-14-12--------------------------------------
------------------------------12-14----------------------------------------14-12------------------------------
--------------------12-14-16-----------------------------------------------------16-14-12-------------------
-----------12-14-15------------------------------------------------------------------------15-14-12----------
-12-14-15--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------15-14-12-

Quote From Mallard:
Since Mike (is it okay to call him "Mike") put together the Harmonic Minor stuff in the Scales in Tab section I've been gettin' real nervous with that stuff. I opened up all kinds of doors in my head that involve the Harmonic Minor. I've dicked around with the Harmonic Minor forever but I never got serious about it. Then he put that up and it kinda jump started me into it. Like ripples in a pool, you know?

Now that you're getting into Harmonic Minor try working with its fifth mode its cool as anything. All you have to do to do this is play the E Harmonic Minor Scale but make the note B you main point of resolution. The progression B7 - Em - B7 - CMaj7 will work under the above idea well. This mode is called as the Phrygian Dominant (Phrygian normally holds a Min7th chord but it becomes a Dominant 7th because in harmonic minor it has a rised 3rd) Try out this sound it might really help your door opening process. :HeadBang:

Of course you guys can call me "Mike" its my name Wink
User Imagejeremy
1:34 am Thursday
September 28, 2006
Yeah, that's tight. I've already kinda touched on that without knowin' what it was called. Because I hit the Harmonic Minor with the 4-note-per-string mentality and I like start on B when I do that. You know how you can start on B on like the 6th string and bust 3 more notes up that string and land on F# on the 5th string and bust 2 more notes and just repeat that over the next 2 sets of strings? You can also start on the 7th and kinda hang off that. I have it all ptab-ed out HERE.
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:38 am Thursday
September 28, 2006
Your examples are great I've worked with the Major and Nat Minor forms this way a lot but not too much with harmonic minor. Gives me something new to work on thanks.
User Imagejeremy
10:23 pm Thursday
September 28, 2006
Uh-oh... does this mean you're gonna spend countless hours on some more gif's?

That's cool though. I like rippin' the Harmonic Minor like I have it laid out in that ptab when I wanna kinda shoot up the neck a little. Like, I'll be rippin' in the box form at some unspecified position and all of a sudden I'll wanna rip up a few positions. Those runs kinda allow you to do that in a tight kinda way.

I'm into it.
User ImageT.A.Z
5:29 am Sunday
October 1, 2006
Excellent stuff here as usual, when i get my gutiar later on I'll be sure to start mucking around with this stuff.