Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Feeling The 32nd Notes

User Imagejeremy
1:32 am Thursday
October 19, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Anybody know any good practicing tricks or techniques to get better at feeling the division of notes better?

Like, if you set your metronome to 50BPM for example and started out playing quarter notes and then eighth notes, then eighth note triplets, then sixteenth notes, then sixteenth note triplets, and then thirty-second notes with a 3-note-per-string scale. I find that it gets hard to feel the thirty-second notes when I get goin faster. Its like I have a mental block that messes me up because youre playing 8 notes per click but you only have 3 notes per string. Like, the sixteenth note triplets feel perfect because you have 6 notes per click and that works great because youre ripping those 6 notes on 2 strings at a time and it evens out. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I know that itll just take time and practice for it to feel better but Im just wondering if anybody has any cool practice ideas that help.

Thanks!
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:50 am Thursday
October 19, 2006
Yep, I have the same issue. Once you get really fast the notes kinda bleed together and it gets harder to hear the divisions in the beat.

One thing you can try is to come up with fingering where you ascend for 8 notes and then decend for 8 notes. This way you can use the chage in picth to help you hear the meters subdivisions.
User Imagejeremy
12:40 am Friday
October 20, 2006
I think I know what you mean... like the exercise on Rock Discipline where he does that chromatic deal that kinda climbs across the strings and shifts up 4 positions and back. I find that helps with this problem 'cause then you are playing 4 notes per string so it's even with the 32nd notes. After I hit that for a while I can feel a the 3-note-per-string scales better.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:34 am Friday
October 20, 2006
I see what you mean. Its actually pretty hard to get the pure 32nd sound. I created a little midi file that helped me hear it: The tempo on this is only 85 and its still hard to make out.

the tab for this is simply

Code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---0-0-0-0-0-0-0-------0-0-0-0-0-0-0------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---
-0------------------0------------------0-------------------0------------------------

My best advice is to keep up with the needed speed but make it a smooth as you can.
User Imagejeremy
11:58 pm Friday
October 20, 2006
Hmm... I just kinda played a similar pattern to that now. But I didn't use open notes. But I can kinda hear how that could help.

It's hard to play fast.
User Imagejeremy
11:59 pm Wednesday
October 25, 2006
I'm finding that playing the scales in BOX form helps me to feel the 32nd notes better because you can go up and down any given box and you have like 16 notes goin' up and 16 comin' down. So it feels even and it works for me.

Also playin' the last portion of Jake E. Lee's solo in Bark at the Moon seems to be helping me. I'm sittin' here blasting away at that with the old netronme and it's feelin' pretty tight.