Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Chord Construction Again?

Defualt User ImageWorldDecay
8:23 pm Friday
November 24, 2006
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Gathering info to start learning CC.

What are..
-Chord Spellings
-Interval Name
-Tetrachords.

Also, are there formulas for triads or?

1 3 5
1 b3 5 etc. What are these called?
|
|-->These are the most important in chord construction too right?

I want to set up a list of things to memorize or work with everyday to start learning CC. So basic stuff first Very happy

PS. I know Billyjack has spent alot of time on my other chording thread, i've read through it, its too deep for me at the moment, although its valuable information. i just need a shorter/simpler thread for a headstart.
User ImageBillyJack
1:15 am Saturday
November 25, 2006
You're asking for a basic answer to a complex question. Put simply, to know how to construct a chord you have to know two things.

1st - What are the fundamentals (or parts) of the chord you're constructing.

a) This either has to come from memorizing each triad and its extensions (C Major = C, E, G / C Maj7 = C, E, G, B) so on and so on or

b) Learn intervals and chord formulas (or spellings). (Major = 1, 3, 5 / Maj7 = 1, 3, 5, 7)

2nd - Knowing where the notes are located on the neck in relationship to each other.

Knowing both of these takes time and study. Best way to start is by learning all the notes on the guitar neck. The link below is to a game called "Fretboard Warrior" that will help with that.
http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/fretboardwarrior.html

also, you need to practice playing the Major scale starting from multiple positions on the neck so you know it inside and out. This link will help with that:
http://forum.guitarknowledgenet.com/viewtopic.php?t=242
This is a game I put together to help become proficient with scales.
Just use the links under "Ionian Mode". The Ionian Mode is the Major scale.
User Imagejeremy
10:58 pm Sunday
November 26, 2006
Dang. Those FRETBOARD WARRIOR CARDS are kinda cool. Might be cool to be able to just sit somewhere without a guitar (which tends to actually distract me from learning this kinda stuff) and just rip through them.
User ImageBillyJack
9:34 am Monday
November 27, 2006
I like the free timed game. It's real helpful in note recognition.
User Imagejeremy
9:20 pm Monday
November 27, 2006
I think I'm gonna DL that software at home.
User ImageBillyJack
7:26 am Tuesday
November 28, 2006
I've found that it's very hard to explain or even understand most technics without a solid academic foundation to build from. Tools like the Fret Board Warrior are great for learning or reinforcing fundamentals.

For learning or refreshing fundamentals, I'd say my three favorite tools are:

1 GKN Learning Center For very guitar specific academics.
2 Fret Board Warrior For note identification.
3 Ricci Adams' Music Theory Very down to Earth and easy to follow approach to music theory.
User Imagejeremy
10:07 pm Sunday
December 10, 2006
Dang, thanks for reminding me. I still didn't DL Fret Board Warrior yet. Maybe if I get a day off I'll get to it. Dang.