Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Fretboard Warrior.

Defualt User ImageWorldDecay
5:02 am Tuesday
January 30, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
First of all, thanks to BillJack for linking me to this wonderful practice tool.

I noticed, everytime I am asked to name the note beyond the Low E and A string, I will use/refer to the "octave" method to tell that note.

Due to power chord usage, I am familiar with the notes on the bass strings, but not the mids and trebles.

I can get the notes right on the fretboard warrior, but its only through reference to the bass strings. What are good ways to remember the note itself?
User ImageBillyJack
8:05 am Tuesday
January 30, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
I did the exact same thing at first. (2 strings down and 2 frets sharp is an octave, one down 2 up is a 5th and so on ) Just quit doing that. It's ok to get it wrong while you're working on it so, stop relating them. That's the only way you're gonna learn to get it right. On Fretboard Warrior you have to guess until you get it right so, maybe having something that tells you the correct answer right away when you get it wrong will help.

Try this: It's an online fretboard trainer.
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id81_en.html

On the right hand side of the screen where it says "FRETS", you should see the "5". That's for the first "5" frets, start there. Do it at that level til you can get 100 correct without any mistakes. Then when you can do that, click on the number and move to "7" then "9" and so forth.

If you have to, find to a picture of a fretboard with all the notes marked, print it out and lay it in front of you while you're using the trainer. That way you can look down and use the picture as a cheat sheet instead of relating the intervals. Start like that and it might help you break the relationship habit it sounds like you've already formed.