Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Solfege Syllables and Modes

User ImageBillyJack
9:05 am Thursday
February 8, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hey Gang!
About a year ago I posted a vocal chart I created to help me learn the tones of each mode. At that time Mike informed me that what I was talking about the Solfege Syllables. Since my method worked for me, I really didn't dig any deeper into it. Boy I wish I had of.

Here's a copy of the Solfege Syllables and beneath it is the correct pronunciation of each interval for each of the 7 modes. Very very helpful knowledge when it comes to learning the sound, therfore the feel, of each mode. Most of us probly already know the Ionian because it's the same as the (do re mi fa so la ti do) we learned as the Major scale.

Ionian = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (mode formula)
The 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th degrees are understood to be major intervals, the 4th and 5th are understood to be perfect intervals.
Sing this as - do re mi fa so la ti do.

Dorian - 1 2 m3 4 5 6 m7 (mode formula)
The 2nd and 6th degrees are understood to be major intervals (since this system assumes the major scale to be the base), the b3rd and b7th degrees are understood to be minor intervals, the 4th and 5th are understood to be perfect intervals.
Sing this as - do re me fa so la te do

Phrygian = 1 m2 m3 4 5 m6 m7 (mode formula)
The b2nd, b3rd, b6th and b7th degrees are understood to be minor intervals, the 4th and 5th are understood to be perfect intervals.
Sing this as - do ra me fa so le te do

Lydian = 1 2 3 aug4 5 6 7 (mode formula)
The 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th degrees are understood to be major intervals, the #4th is understood to be augmented and the 5th is understood to be a perfect interval.
Sing this as do re mi fi so la ti do

Mixolydian = 1 2 3 4 5 6 m7 (mode formula)
The 2nd, 3rd, and 6th degrees are understood to be major intervals, the 4th and 5th are understood to be perfect intervals and the 7th is understood to be a minor.
Sing this as - do re mi fa so la te do.

Aeolian = 1 2 m3 4 5 m6 m7 (mode formula)
The b2nd degree is understood to be a major interval, the b3rd, b6th and b7th degrees are understood to be minor intervals, the 4th and 5th are understood to be perfect intervals.
Sing this as - do re me fa so le te do

Locrian = 1 m2 m3 4 dim5 m6 m7 (mode formula)
The b2nd, b3rd, b6th and b7th degrees are understood to be minor intervals, the 4th is understood to be a perfect interval and the 5th is understood to be a diminished interval.
Sing this as - do ra me fa se le te do
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:06 pm Thursday
February 8, 2007
Excellent post. I spent a lot of time working with solfege and I'm pretty good but still need some more work. I'm going to work on this a little tonight.
User ImageBillyJack
9:16 am Friday
February 9, 2007
Thanks Mike!

Yeah, I'm really getting into the Solfege Syllables. I haven't made my mind up yet if learning the proper use makes it easy and fun or if I've studied so hard without it that I feel part of the load has been lifted. Either way, I thought it was worth sharing......................again! Laughing
User ImageT.A.Z
4:50 am Saturday
February 10, 2007
Very helpful post man, BillyJack your certainly a man of much theory lol.
User ImageBillyJack
6:26 am Saturday
February 10, 2007
LOL Well now it would be great if someone would just come teach me how to play! :oops: