Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Practice Mastering the Major "DVD"

User ImageBillyJack
4:55 pm Thursday
February 15, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Practice Mastering the Major 'DVD'

Hey Guys and Gals,
Mike has been gracious enough to allow me to post my scale exercise "DVD" for sale here at GKN Forum! Thanks Mike!

Here's the spill:
When someone ask, "How do I become a better player?" the first answer they hear seems to always be "Practice your scales.... pratice practice practice". A simple enough answer but, how do you practice them? Without a teacher that already knows telling you to practice this, this week and that the next, how do you know? I'm mean, you can do like I have done and spend one, two or more years learning the patterns, figuring out where you can play each pattern, confusing yourself everytime you learn a new method of practicing them. It can get kind of rough. This is where Ive tried to come in and lend a hand.

Imagine having a disc you could just throw in a DVD player and get twenty +/- minutes of 5 fret, scale pattern practice just by following along. No theory, no speaches, nobody on the disc showing you how much more they know than you do Just good old fashion practice. On my disc, you get a 10 second Title screen that says Practice Mastering the Major and my name on it followed by a 15 second screen telling youre gonna play C Ionian first. Then its just 18, 6 second frames of C Major, 5 fret patterns, everywhere you can play it on a 16 fret guitar neck, NO SUGAR ADDED. That only covers the C Ionain Mode of C Major. When its through with C Ionian, theres another 15 second screen telling youre gonna play D Dorian of the C Major Scale and then 21, 6 second frames of D Dorian, 5 fret patterns, everywhere you can play it on a 16 fret guitar neck. It does this for all 7 Modes of C Major. Total run time on the disc will be 20 to 30 minutes (I haven't collected them all on one disc yet so I'm not sure of exact run time). Once you're comfortable with the patterns, it's 30 minutes of non stop scale practice from the time you throw in the disc.

The disc covers:
C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian &
B Locrian Modes

Thats everywhere you can play out of the C Major in a 5 fret pattern. Once you can do that effectively, moving the pattern to another key is relatively easy.

So, what do you think about the idea? Many of you guys have seen my Speed Game exercises. This was based on that but, MUCH better graphics, longer fretboard, audio accompanyment and all is done from the C Major Parent Root for relationship reference.

Here a glimps along with a link to sample clip for you to check out:

________ CLICK HERE to view or download a Sample video

Do you think it would be worth $10 a copy plus shipping? I've got some more copyright work to get in before I take any orders but, I thought I'd put a feeler out and see if any of you guys might be interested.
User ImageBillyJack
5:00 pm Thursday
February 15, 2007
Oh, and for you lightening fast players, you can't out grow my disc! Mute the volume on your DVD player and play through the patterns as many times as you can in 6 seconds before the pattern change. What a workout!
User ImageBillyJack
8:03 pm Friday
February 16, 2007
I now have it mastered down to a single disc.

Total run time = 17 minutes 20 seconds.

EDIT: Total run time = 18 minutes 37 seconds. I had extend the exercise intros to 25 seconds each to give viewers more time to read them.
User ImageBillyJack
9:26 pm Saturday
February 17, 2007
Well, since no one's going to give me their opinion freely, I'm gonna outright ask for a suggestion.

Which would be better for this type exercise, having the notes marked as intervals like they are or actually naming the notes?

For moving the pattern to a new root, the notes are really irrelevant and other than the root, the interval is all that matters. On the other hand, even intermediate players may not know what intervals are and may not comprehend what they're looking at.

Oh and Mike, check your messages! Laughing
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:07 pm Monday
February 19, 2007
I vote for interval names. IMHO tt makes more sense that way. Maybe you could do it both ways and give users that option.
User Imagejeremy
11:37 pm Monday
February 19, 2007
I'd go with the interval names if you can't do both.
This seems like a pretty cool idea.
It's worth 10 bucks.
User ImageBillyJack
8:08 am Tuesday
February 20, 2007
I went ahead and Mastered 2 versions of the DVD. One with the C Major Notes and the other in correct intervals.
User ImageT.A.Z
10:45 am Tuesday
February 20, 2007
Great news BillyJack!! I'll be getting an order in to ya to get a copy over here if thats ok?? I'd like a copy of each version with the ineterval names and the note names if thats cool??
User ImageBillyJack
2:02 pm Tuesday
February 20, 2007
Shoot WideSide, you know I got you covered!

Like I said, I'm pumped about it. I'm trying to find some software now to improve the graphics and give the user more options than just play through. My DVD burning software doesn't allow me to do all I want it to.

Instead of just put the disc in and play, I want to give the user the option of playing through or jumping to specific mode pattern instead of just fast forwarding to the desired mode.
User Imagejeremy
10:20 pm Tuesday
February 20, 2007
Yeah, dude. Trick it out. I'm very interested in this.
Keep us posted.
User ImageBillyJack
10:55 am Saturday
March 3, 2007
I've worked a long time on this project and finally have everything just the way I want it. Now I'M SCREWED!

Look at this mess!

See those 16 empty slots? There empty because the damn DVD authoring tool I used to set it all up doesn't recognize the video format that all my mode pattern clips are in!

Mad &*^$$^&$%^&*())&*$@@!$&(*!^$^(#)(#^#&(#(! Mad

Anybody know of a good WMV to MPG converter that won't totally butt stroke the video quality after the conversion?
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:02 pm Saturday
March 3, 2007
look at an application called Terran Interactive's Media Cleaner 5

I could not find the site for the company but here is a review http://www.creativemac.com/HTM/Features/2000/Reviews/cleaner5/cleaner5-page1.htm

It should be able to do this type of convertion.

Let me know if it helps.

Mike
User ImageBillyJack
10:53 am Sunday
March 4, 2007
Hey Mike thanks! I found a converter already though: Honestech MPEG Encoder.

The Honestech Encoder in conjunction with DVDLab worked out just fine. Both are demos that I have but they did what I wanted them to do. I'm gonna shuffle around to rake up the money for full version of DVDLab Pro 2 before I finallize the project. Now that it flows the way I want it to, I'm gonna do a bit more with graphics for menus and such as well.

With DVDLab I was able to master both note and interval versions into one disc with an options menu that I can do what ever I want with it to choose from. WaHoooo! Very happy

If I keep messing around in this video stuff, it's gonna cost the heck out of my wife's budget. Everything I'm doing, outside the of graphics, is with demo software, no gear and I'm liking it. I see some...........investments coming up in the near future! :twisted:
User Imagejeremy
8:20 pm Sunday
March 4, 2007
I'm stoked.
User ImageBillyJack
7:58 am Monday
March 5, 2007
Here's the new flow chart:
It starts out with an opening clip then automatically changes to the main menu. In the main menu there are three options

INFO = Discription of what the disc is designed to do and a "how to" for how different experience levels can use the disc

Play by NOTE = Takes you to a sub menu where there are 8 buttons for you to choose which of the 7 Modes you want to practice, laid out with notes on the fret board and a return to main menu button.

Play by INTERVAL = Takes you to a sub menu where there are 8 buttons for you to choose which of the 7 Modes you want to practice, laid out with intervals on the fret board and a return to main menu button.

What I have left to do:
1 - The letters and numbers on the fret boards are a little fuzzy. I need to go in and redo the note and interval markers so they are a little clearer for the viewer.

2 - I had to drop the audio from the exercises because I couldn't get them to line up correctly. This actually is for the better though. Without audio in the background, an experienced user can play the pattern as many times as possible before the frame change without muting the disc. There's a 25 second introduction to each exercise explaining the notes or intervals being played so, I think I'll drop an audio there with the corrosponding scale just for tone recognition.

3 - Have yet to figure out how to add a "Play ALL" button for those how would want to just get a 20 +/- minute workout of all the modes at once either by note or interval.
User Imagejeremy
12:07 am Tuesday
March 6, 2007
Sounds cool.

I wouldn't miss the audio 'cause you'd probably have it in standard tuning. I don't think I have one guitar that I tune standard anymore. They're all D# or lower. I could dig one out that I don't use much and tune it up if I had to though.
User ImageBillyJack
10:15 am Tuesday
March 6, 2007
You know, I never concidered alt-tuning! I don't think having the scale playing during each intro will hurt that though. I've put them there so the ear can hear the progression of the scale. I've also set the audio at 3, 6 second passes, like the frames, to help get a feel for the timing. I don't play alt-tuning but, I do play out of various keys all over the neck and it doesn't seem to bother me to hear the scale out of key before I start the exercise. Once you've read it one time, you'll probly skip the intro's anyway. Laughing

For begineers learning scales, I think having something there as a reference is a must though.
User Imagejeremy
9:57 pm Tuesday
March 6, 2007
Tight. Dude, this is like the "hot topic" on GKN right now. Where is everybody?
User ImageBillyJack
1:52 pm Wednesday
March 7, 2007
Man, I don't know where everybody is. Since Mike put up the tab archive, membership has gone through the roof but nobodies posting. We had a lot more board activity when we had less members.
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:19 pm Wednesday
March 7, 2007
Tell me about it. THere are a lot more people viewing the site but no one is posting I don't know why. I've done what I can to make it more active. But lately with work& family I have not had the time to devote to it.

I have another section that will be added to GKN soon and I'm hoping that will bring more people into the conversation. I'm planning on a video lesson series that will be run from here with some stuff posted to youtube too. I'm in the process of buying a new home and I will have a new studio at that time so I'll start filming after I get moved in.

I'd love to see more people post but for now I'm just spending most of my time deleting the spam accounts that join the board every day.
User ImageBillyJack
6:36 am Thursday
March 8, 2007
Video lessons sounds like an awesome idea. When you get ready, if you want some graphic work or animations done for any of it, let me know. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Spammers!!! Deleting spam post seems to be my primary function on here now a days. Mad
User ImageMike Lindyn
6:00 pm Thursday
March 8, 2007
Hey thanks BillyJack. What I really need is someone to work the camra while I give the lessons. I might also have to rent another camra so there can be more than one angle. I have been kicking this idea around for over a year now and have it pretty well worked out. I'll tell you more about it as it gets closer to being done. I may ask your advice on some stuff because you seem to be up on this kind of stuff.
User ImageBillyJack
6:16 pm Thursday
March 8, 2007
I said "If I could help, I'd be glad to." I don't think my arms will reach from Arkansas to Arizona to work a camera! Laughing

As for advice on video..............HAHAHA..........man I don't know my head from a whole in the ground when it comes to this stuff. I'm just grabbing shit from here and sticking it over there and hope like hell it works! Laughing
User ImageBillyJack
9:33 am Friday
March 9, 2007
IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finished the DVD layout and everything flows perfectly. I reworked the graphics to where all the notes and intervals can be read.

The disc contains,

1- An opening Title Screen (A pretty cool one if I do say so myself!) Click here to check it out!
2- A Main Menu to select (Disc) Information, View by Note or View by Interval
3- 2 Sub Menus, one for Note and one for Interval with 9 options in each to choose from. They are:

***** Button 1-Play All
***** Button 2-C Ionian
***** Button 3-D Dorian
***** Button 4-E Phrygian
***** Button 5-F Lydian
***** Button 6-G Mixolydian
***** Button 7-A Aeolian
***** Button 8-B Locrian
***** Button 9-Main Menu

Instead of the 138 frames, I cut it down to 129. ( or 258 if you count both sets) After re-re-re-reviewing, I realized that the same pattern played in its octave position on the same string was really unnecessary.

I have to get the labels/covers printed up and I'll be ready to take orders. I'm gonna start by taking the 1st, 10 orders at $10 (US$) plus shipping worldwide on a beta run. {To GKN members and a couple of locals only} After I get feedback from the 1st. 10, I'll open it up to the market for $14.95 + S/H. (If the feedback is promissing)

Right now it looks like PayPal & Money Orders will be my best option for taking payments.

To reserve a copy, PM me and I'll put you on the list until I get ready to ship or have my 10 orders. I have two local orders already so, there are 8 disc left. Wideside and Mallard I believe already want one so there could only be 6 left in the trial run!
User Imagejeremy
10:42 pm Sunday
March 11, 2007
PM sent.
User ImageBillyJack
11:10 pm Sunday
March 11, 2007
Gotcha Mallard! I should be ready by next Monday. (Gotta wait for Friday paycheck to buy the Disc Labeler Cry )

*********** 5 DISC LEFT in the preorders! ************
User Imagejeremy
4:41 am Monday
March 12, 2007
Tight. I'm stoked!
User ImageBillyJack
4:17 pm Tuesday
March 13, 2007
It's ready for shipping!

Mallard, I sent you a message!
User Imagejeremy
10:56 pm Tuesday
March 13, 2007
Looks great.
I know this is gonna push me to learn this stuff better.
I'm kind of a visual learner so this is perfect for me.
I can't wait to sit in my guitar room and rip through this.
User ImageBillyJack
8:22 am Thursday
March 15, 2007
Well I went out yesterday pitching my DVD to different music shops. It was kind of cool because every store that took time to demo the disc, sold copies to customers in the store before I even finished explaining it. I ran 30 copies to take with me and came home with 4. I left 15 total with 3 different stores to sale on commission and sold 11 copies to customers/employees while demonstrating the disc to the store owners. The owners where even nice enough to let me keep 100% of what sales I made during the demo.

Talked with a publisher yesterday and pitched the idea. I think he might just buy me out and run with it! Kind of don't want to do that but, I know my limitations and know I can't do justice to the potiential this really has.
User Imagejeremy
11:14 am Thursday
March 15, 2007
Wow. Cool beans!
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:30 pm Thursday
March 15, 2007
Quote From BillyJack:
Well I went out yesterday pitching my DVD to different music shops. It was kind of cool because every store that took time to demo the disc, sold copies to customers in the store before I even finished explaining it. I ran 30 copies to take with me and came home with 4. I left 15 total with 3 different stores to sale on commission and sold 11 copies to customers/employees while demonstrating the disc to the store owners. The owners where even nice enough to let me keep 100% of what sales I made during the demo.

Talked with a publisher yesterday and pitched the idea. I think he might just buy me out and run with it! Kind of don't want to do that but, I know my limitations and know I can't do justice to the potiential this really has.

That is Awesome man! It really sounds like you are hitting the ground running with this project. Let me know if there is any way I can help.
User ImageBillyJack
3:31 pm Thursday
March 15, 2007
Thanks Mike, for now I'm hoping to get bought out but, if that doesn't happen, I found a guy that'll burn, label and package H-Quality for me at $3.00 a disc and waive the setup fee. (He's real heavy into supporting local business). That's only double what it cost me out of pocket to do these at home and the end product quality will be well worth it.

I have a studio on the hook that will trade me studio time so I can add some narrations in exchange for giving the owners a few music lessons (long but, cool story there)!

Now I just need to find something that can convert all these videos I've create to DVD without such a drastic quality lose. I'm beyond my geekism in that area! I can get it to convert from wmv to mpeg or avi now whatout a quality lose but, using three different burn softwares, I'm still not totally saticfied with the end result.
User Imagejeremy
11:35 pm Sunday
March 18, 2007
Check's in the mail. Actually I sent it out on Thursday night. Probably got picked up on Friday though
User ImageBillyJack
12:16 pm Monday
March 19, 2007
I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know when it's in.
User Imagejeremy
6:46 pm Monday
March 19, 2007
Tight!
User ImageBillyJack
11:13 am Tuesday
March 20, 2007
Hey Mallard. got it! I'm gonna try to get the disc out today.
User ImageFenderBender
12:54 pm Tuesday
March 20, 2007
Billy - you have a site to sell these on?

how do I get one too?
(gotta keep up with the joneses you know... =))

nice work man!
User ImageBillyJack
2:44 pm Tuesday
March 20, 2007
Fender, check your messages!
User ImageBillyJack
2:45 pm Tuesday
March 20, 2007
Mallard, your's went out today!
User Imagejeremy
8:19 pm Tuesday
March 20, 2007
Nice! I'll let you know when I get it.
User Imagejeremy
11:54 pm Sunday
March 25, 2007
Got it, bro! I was away at shows this weekend. Actually I just got back from seeing Zakk Wylde just now. Talk about a dude who has the major scale mastered! When I got home the DVD was at my house. I just popped it in now before I go to bed here to check it out. Pretty cool. Tomorrow I'm gonna hit it.

Thanks!
User ImageBillyJack
10:23 am Saturday
March 31, 2007
Well dude, is it what you expected? Is it helpful? I'm about to dump a butt load of money into it, laid out to cover every root and add 2 note per string, 4 note per string and full 6 string patterns.

If all works out it'll end up a piece of software you can control an audio accompanyment and tempo in. If the software version pans out, I'm also going to add a modal chord substitution dail that does something like this:

This is a reference wheel I designed that tells you every modal pattern and modal chord substitution to any given root. Like if you set the dial to "A" Ionian, any chord or pattern shown on the wheel from that position can be used as an extention, substitution, lead or turn around over and between the chords in the progression and remain modally correct. It takes a butt load of practice for that to become second nature and kind of the point of DVD. Without actually teaching this, I'm hoping that this method of practice forces a person to make the connection on their own. Even if they don't realize they've made it until they start to study substitutions and improvs.
User Imagejeremy
1:16 am Thursday
April 5, 2007
I'm back. I just had 14 days off from work. You would think that I coulda spent some time hitting the DVD but I only spent one day with it. But it was enough for me to figure out that it's pretty cool and it is what I expected. I mean, I knew exactly what it was gonna be before I got it. It's definitely a good tool to practice the major. I like how concise it is. Like, a lota instructional videos cover a wide range of stuff and you end up not getting enough of one topic out of any of it. This thing is like, if you wanna hit the major then that's what you're gonna do. I like it. I drilled through the C Ionian and it's already making me think differently when I rip leads.
User ImageBillyJack
7:56 am Thursday
April 5, 2007
That's exactly the feedback I was hoping for. A guy once told me, you pay on average $15 for a 30 minute guitar lesson and about the same, or more, for a book or instruction video. If you can learn one thing for that $15, it's well worth the money. As simple as this disc is, I'm hoping everyone that tries it, gets a little something out of each of the 7 exercises.
User ImageBillyJack
8:09 am Thursday
April 5, 2007
The ten BETAs have been sold Very happy. Counting the copies I have reserved for Fender and WildSide, that makes a bakers dozen that are on my gennie pig list (Mike, you're on there for letting me use GKN to get this started). To all those that took a chance on me, when the final cut is made, what ever format that might be and if I can still contact them, will receive a free copy of the final! Don't hold your breath though, this may take a year or better because I'm working on getting a program designed to give the user control of some variables like key, tempo and audio accompaniments. Hell, I might even through in a little theory while I'm at it!
User Imagejeremy
3:12 am Saturday
May 12, 2007
I have a question... now that I've been hitting this I'm wondering how the inversions work. I'm a little confused about that. I never really worked on modes in this manner so this is just something that I don't understand yet. I'll use the C Ionian as an example:
Code:
|----------------------------------------------|
|-----------------9-10-10-9--------------------|
|---------8-10-12-----------12-10-8------------|
|-8-10-12---------------------------12-10-8----|

|------------------------------------------|
|-------------7-9-10-10-9-7----------------|
|------7-8-10---------------10-8-7---------|
|-8-10-----------------------------10-8----|

|------------------------------------|
|---------------5-5------------------|
|---------5-7-9-----9-7-5------------|
|---5-7-8-----------------8-7-5------|
|-8-----------------------------8----|

|-------------4-5-5-4----------------|
|---------5-7---------7-5------------|
|---5-7-8-----------------8-7-5------|
|-8-----------------------------8----|

|-------------4-5-5-4----------------|
|-------3-5-7---------7-5-3----------|
|-3-5-7---------------------7-5-3----|

|-----------2-4-5-5-4-2--------------|
|-----2-3-5-------------5-3-2--------|
|-3-5-------------------------5-3----|

|---------------1-1------------------|
|-----------2-4-----4-2--------------|
|-----2-3-5-------------5-3-2--------|
|-3-5-------------------------5-3----|

|---------------1-1------------------|
|---------0-2-4-----4-2-0------------|
|---0-2-3-----------------3-2-0------|
|-3-----------------------------3----|

|-------------0-1-1-0----------------|
|---------0-2---------2-0------------|
|---0-2-3-----------------3-2-0------|
|-3-----------------------------3----|

|----------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------12-13-13-12----------------------|
|----------10-12-14-------------14-12-10-------------|
|-10-12-14-------------------------------14-12-10----|

|----------------10-12-13-13-12-10-------------------|
|----------10-12-------------------12-10-------------|
|-10-12-14-------------------------------14-12-10----|

|--------------------------------------------------|
|---------------10-12-13-13-12-10------------------|
|-------9-10-12-------------------12-10-9----------|
|-10-12-----------------------------------12-10----|

|--------------------8-8-----------------------|
|------------8-10-12-----12-10-8---------------|
|-------9-10---------------------10-9----------|
|-10-12-------------------------------12-10----|

|----------------7-8-8-7-------------------|
|-----------8-10---------10-8--------------|
|----7-9-10-------------------10-9-7-------|
|-10---------------------------------10----|

|---------------7-8-8-7------------------|
|--------6-8-10---------10-8-6-----------|
|----7-9-----------------------9-7-------|
|-10-------------------------------10----|
|----------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------|

|-----------5-7-8-8-7-5--------------|
|-------6-8-------------8-6----------|
|-5-7-9---------------------9-7-5----|

|-----------5-7-8-8-7-5--------------|
|-----5-6-8-------------8-6-5--------|
|-5-7-------------------------7-5----|

How comes the lower patterns don't exactly match the higher ones?
Is it because certain notes would be awkward to reach for?
I guess if you just explain how the inversions work real quick it'll clear it up for me.
I think it will also help me memorize them better if I understand how it works.

Thanks!
User ImageBillyJack
7:39 am Saturday
May 12, 2007
I only use 5 fret patterns in the exercises and the flattened "B" string alters the pattern shape which takes it out of a 5 fret pattern range. I've found a lot of people have trouble with the mechanics if you run over 5 frets while learning the basics and that's kind of what I'm all about.
User Imagejeremy
9:38 pm Wednesday
May 16, 2007
The reason I was wondering about the pattern of the inversions is 'cause of this for example. You go from this pattern:
Code:
|---------------10-12-13-13-12-10------------------|
|-------9-10-12-------------------12-10-9----------|
|-10-12-----------------------------------12-10----|

To this pattern:
Code:
|--------------------8-8-----------------------|
|------------8-10-12-----12-10-8---------------|
|-------9-10---------------------10-9----------|
|-10-12-------------------------------12-10----|

But I found myself thinking that this should be next:
Code:
|---------------------8-8------------------------|
|---------------10-12-----12-10------------------|
|-------9-10-12-----------------12-10-9----------|
|-10-12---------------------------------12-10----|
|------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------|

That's what got me thinking about it. Like, why wouldn't that pattern come next?
User ImageBillyJack
1:50 am Thursday
May 17, 2007
Actually you're right! I haven't looked at it yet but, if it's not there then, it looks like I skipped an inversion. Hazard of doing this without a second QC to go over it. Other part of the reason I sent out the beta's. Before I take this to program, I want to catch all my little screw ups first.

That's 1!
User Imagejeremy
2:54 am Thursday
May 17, 2007
Whoa, maybe I got confused by looking at those PTABS that you posted lately in the challenge thread and it's actually right on the disc but... I'll let you know if I find any mistakes. I've only been hitting the C Ionian so far. I should "branch out" to the other modes in C this week.
User Imagejeremy
3:36 pm Thursday
May 17, 2007
Dude, sorry about that... it's correct on the disc. I was at work last night hitting that PTAB from the other thread and that's what confused me 'cause that pattern IS missing from that PTAB. But now that I'm at home I see that it's correct on the disc.

Sweet.
User ImageBillyJack
4:07 pm Thursday
May 17, 2007
Yeah, the PTAB exercise was just off the top of my head. I didn't have guitar in hand to double check them.

I really didn't want to have to redo the disc. Wink
User Imagejeremy
7:22 pm Thursday
May 17, 2007
Word.

I don't even know why I ended up posting about it in here anyway when I got that tab from that other thread. But I coulda sworn that it was like that on the DVD as well when I had checked it at home. But it's not. It's all tight.
User ImageBillyJack
12:20 am Friday
May 18, 2007
Here's you a personal challenge:
When you think you've got the Dorian down pat, you do the PTAB for it without the disc or a guitar in hand. Test to see how hard you study. Laughing
User Imagejeremy
2:34 am Friday
May 18, 2007
I'll do it, dude. Next week!
User ImageBillyJack
7:01 am Friday
May 18, 2007
Cool! The trick is to have the Ionian down solid. (since it is the major scale) then relate the others by their alteration: (they're all flats except the 4 in the Lydian so you really don't have to worry about flat or sharp)
Ionian = base scale
Dorian = 3,7
Phrygian = 2,3,6,7
Lydian = 4
Mixolydian = 7
Aeolian = 3,6,7
Locrian = 2,3,5,6,7

I'm working on a PTAB exercise now I call "The Dance". I'm taking 2 note per string and 4 note per string patterns and linking together the 5 fret patterns to show how to move all around the neck. Parts of the exercise will extend beyond the 5 fret to link to other 5 fret patterns both ascending and desending randomly. Each however will stay sequencial (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1)(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1)(1,7,6,5,4,3,2,1)(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) Never descending the way ascended and never ascending the same way it ascended. Should be kind of cool.
User Imagejeremy
6:54 pm Friday
May 18, 2007
I feel like I'm learning something new in my head already.
This is my favorite guitar instruction site on the internet.
Did I ever mention that before?
User ImageBillyJack
7:28 pm Friday
May 18, 2007
It'd just be nice if we had somebody instructing that had a clue what they were doing huh? Laughing
User Imagejeremy
11:58 pm Friday
May 18, 2007
You dudes totally know what you're doing. I'm inspired. I'm gonna rebuild my site this year and I'm gonna have a section with all of my instructional ideas and such on it. I mean, it won't be as involved but I'll have some cool stuff on there.

I guess I should start writing my ideas down though before I forget where I was goin' with some of the things.
User Imagejeremy
10:01 pm Wednesday
May 23, 2007
I only got through half of the Dorian this week so I'm not ready to do that ptab challenge yet. Next week!
User Imagejeremy
7:37 pm Friday
June 1, 2007
Yeah, so... another week goes by and I still haven't gotten around to hitting the Dorian. I still know half of the inversions... the lower string ones. I should post that up from memory. I hate when weeks go by and I realize that I haven't gotten any further with newer things. Actually... sometimes I feel like I've gona backwards. I hate that more.

Next week!
User ImageT.A.Z
3:26 am Friday
June 29, 2007
WOW!!! I've been away far too long!! lol Had a few problems at home with my dad being taken into hospital recently but Im glad to be back!!

Billy my friend!! You still got a copy for me?? If you have let me know how you'd like your money sent to ya and I'll get it sorted for ya. Could ya also find out how much postage to the UK would cost ya?? I'll send ya the extra for that too. Glad to see this is taking off!!
User ImageBillyJack
7:33 am Friday
June 29, 2007
Hey Wildside,
Man we've missed ya, glad you're back! Hope your Dad's doing ok.

You know I still have you hooked up with a copy of the disc, it's sitting right here on my desk. I tried to send you a message with details, but PMs have been disabled.

email me your contact info and I'll get you squared away with the copy.

majorscale@cox.net
User ImageT.A.Z
10:39 am Friday
June 29, 2007
Email sent mate Very happy
User ImageBillyJack
5:41 pm Friday
June 29, 2007
Got it and sent you a reply.
User Imagejeremy
12:42 am Thursday
August 16, 2007
UPDATE:

I now have every mode wired in my head almost to the point that I'm not thinking about it anymore. It's very cool. It's opened up doors, you know? I gotta thank BillyJack for helping me to understand this stuff. I just never got the modes until now. Like, I could rip leads before but now the whole neck is tied together in my brain like never before.
User ImageBillyJack
9:20 pm Thursday
August 16, 2007
You're very welcome dude, that's awesome! Remember, always drill the basics until you know it. Hopefully now you're at least beginning to see the difference between understanding a concept and actually knowing the foundation. I think you'd pleasantly supprized if you go back now and rethink the circle of fifths.

Take a peak at this and see what you can make of it.
http://home.austin.rr.com/jmjensen/CircleOf5thsFun.html

Yeah, yeah I know! "Damn you BillyJack!" LOL
User Imagejeremy
10:48 pm Thursday
August 16, 2007
Yeah, quit tryin' to teach me stuff!
User Imagejeremy
10:50 pm Thursday
August 16, 2007
Whoa... that's a serious document... the circle of 5ths thing. I'm gonna hafta look over this a little while over here.