Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

New Project

User ImageMike Lindyn
4:49 am Thursday
March 15, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hi all,

I've been working on a side coding project for a while now and I just got the domain and hosting setup.

What do you think of the name DangPony.com

This will be a online musician\public community site with some interesting features. Its still a few months away from the release date but I thought I'd tell you all about it now.

Also I will be putting some DangPony ads on GKN as well as sending out an email telling all the members about it. I'm rather excited about this new project as it could turn out much much bigger than GKN and also helpful to musicians too as yet another way to promote themselves and their music.

I was thinking about doing this migration thing where if you are a member of GKN you would automatically become a member of DangPony too but I don't think I'm going to be doing that now. So, you will have to fill out another sign up form. Sorry about that.

Anyway I'll keep you posted as the release date gets closer. Right now the release date is set for my birthday 07-07-2007 but it may be released even sooner because I'm pretty close to being finished.

Thanks for reading,
Mike
User ImageBillyJack
6:25 am Thursday
March 15, 2007
I'm always psyched about anything new you come up with because I like the way you lay things out. Can you outline some of the features we can look forward to?
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:15 pm Thursday
March 15, 2007
Its along the lines of a myspace community but more flexable in what can be seen and done. I basicly looked at their format and asked myself what I'd like to have changed and I changed it.

I don't want to go into details too much now but I've added some coding ideas that could be helpful and fun for the users. There will also be a underground community of sorts attached to the main community in a way that may be fun. You will also be able to control your online identity in a way that is better than what most sites allow.

In some ways the site will be a lot simpler than myspace (like coding page designs) but in otherways it is a lot more advanced in so far as there is a content management section that allows you to pick and choose what information is displayed to whom.

There will also be other handy gizmos and gadgets. I already have a bunch of these working or in the works but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I have musicians in mind too and have already made the audio embed selection section and may add a jukebox kinda setup too.

Lastly, I'm planning on using some of the coding ideas I used in DangPony to create the GKN online lesson creation section for users but that will not happen until DangPony is released and I work out some of the roadblocks I've come across with developing system.
User ImageBillyJack
2:36 pm Thursday
March 15, 2007
Sounds like a fun new adventure for me! I haven't even gotten into MySpace yet. Been too busy to venture into it. Now I can just hold off till you get this up and running then figure it all out there with the help of some old friends! COOL!
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:46 am Monday
June 25, 2007
Quick Update: I've been working really hard to get this project done. Its the main reason I haven't been posting as much as I normally do.

The release date for DangPony! is July 7th and I'm pretty sure I'll make that deadline but I'll be cutting it close. So mark the date on your calendars. I will be sending out at lease two email announcements about the site release, the first, on the day it is released.

There is a link to the site below but right now there is just a coming soon page up.

httP://www.DangPony.com

Well, I hope you all will visit and sign up so I can get this thing off the ground.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:24 pm Saturday
July 7, 2007
OK the site is up. I'll be posting a mass email about it tonight. If any of you get the chance please sign up.

This was a LOT of work and I'm kinda glad its done. I'll be setting up a GKN profile in the next 24 hours or so and I'd like to have you guys as friends on the site.

Thanks,
Mike
The new site address is http://www.dangpony.com
User Imagejeremy
7:06 pm Sunday
July 8, 2007
I just signed up. I guess this is like a myspace kinda thing?
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:07 am Monday
July 9, 2007
I can always count on you Mallard, thanks man.

Yeah its along those lines.

Its a little different because everyone has two profiles. One is public and the other is private. You can also do a lot more in controlling what the public sees on your site. For example if you don't want a friend to show up on your page or if you only want them to show up on your private page you can set them up that way. I also made much easier to make your page look anyway you want.

Play arorund with it, its pretty cool and kinda fun if your into that kinda thing. There is like no one signed up yet but I'm sure that will change over the next few months.

I'm send out the email about this to the board right now too.
User ImageBillyJack
12:22 am Monday
July 9, 2007
What am I doing wrong? When I click the link, it gives me a login security window wanting screen name and password but no way to register.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:25 am Monday
July 9, 2007
when you click this link http://www.dangpony.com ?
User ImageBillyJack
12:29 am Monday
July 9, 2007
Yeah, this is all I see

User ImageMike Lindyn
12:32 am Monday
July 9, 2007
the main window should look like this I highlight the registration link.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:33 am Monday
July 9, 2007
try it now.
User ImageBillyJack
12:34 am Monday
July 9, 2007
There we go!
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:36 am Monday
July 9, 2007
Sorry that was my bad. Wow it must have been like that for about two or three hours. Thanks for showing me that.
User ImageBillyJack
12:39 am Monday
July 9, 2007
We're in like Flin now! I just got to figure out what to do in a joint like that now. Very happy
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:09 am Monday
July 9, 2007
Read the FAQ they should help.

But here is good way to start:

A) Enter the information you want to share (don't worry if you can't see it on your profile just yet). This can be done through the links "Basic Account & Bio Info" & "Attitudes & Beliefs" in the main control panel.

B) Upload your picture through the "Upload Media Files" link on the home page (Network Control Panel) once this is done you will be sent to an area set up for media management. Click by that picture "Edit File Info" and then check the checkbox that says "Set as main image". Now you have a profile image for your public and private page.

C) Once you've entered your info and uploaded your image you can build your public and private pages. This is done through the "Profile Layout Builder" link on the home page. In the Profile Layout Builder you simply tell the system which of your information you want to include in ether of your profiles and hit submit. You will then be asked to select which profile to apply these setting to (Select Public or Private).

D) Now all you have to do is change the way your page looks. To do this there are two useful tools: the Profile Style Designer and the Style Library. Links to the Profile Style Designer and the Style Library can be found in the home page once you are logged in. Both these tools are very easy to use and you should be able to figure them out in no time.

E) Youre pretty much done. You can do other things from this point like add one of your songs to play on your page of import YouTube videos or basically anything else.

^ (I think this is good I might add it to the FAQ page as a quick start thing so tell me if it makes no sense)
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:20 am Monday
July 9, 2007
Here are some examples of the profiles:

BigE - http://dangpony.com/pub_profile.php?profile=44 This might be the best look profile so far.

ExampleBot - http://dangpony.com/pub_profile.php?profile=45 This is a not real account I'm useing to show what can be done. Its still in the working phases.

Mike - http://dangpony.com/pub_profile.php?profile=42 Yep this is my profile. Its not done yet.

I have created some really "pimped" styles when I was in the testing phase but most were deleted before DangPony! went live some are still in the style library.

Once I get a few really good CSS guys signed up I sure there will be many, many cool styles that can be added.
User ImageBillyJack
9:18 am Monday
July 9, 2007
I've not had a chance to hop back over there but, it looks like that will be easy enough to get me started, THANKS!

I've got about another week left of work to do on a web project I got talked into. (I'm supposed to be retired! Laughing ) After that's done, I'm gonna jump into this with both feet!

TWO THUMBS UP as usual Mike!
Defualt User Imagescruffy_guitars
11:03 am Monday
July 9, 2007
Done

With moving and all the crap of life,i took the time to get registered ,now to get time to fill in the blank's!...........IN SEARCH IF NEW JAMMING PARTENERS....am ready to kill my Alesis sr 16 my drummer suck's!!
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:50 pm Monday
July 9, 2007
Well I'm glad to see your back scruffy. I just moved to. I have to post a thread about my new studio too.

No rush Billyjack the site will be there Thumbs Up when you get to it. I didn't know your were a web guy... Thats cool!

Remember fenderbender? He signed up too. Its cool to see all these people coming around.

I'm kinda excited about getting to see some of the people I've talked to for so long.
User Imagejeremy
8:35 pm Monday
July 9, 2007
I just screwed around with my profile a little more. I can't seem to figure out how to remove Undisclosed items from my public profile. Like, I don't have any kids so I don't even want that item to show up on my profile. I don't want it to say undisclosed or none or whatever. I'll screw with it some more later though. I'm sure that I'll figure it out.

It's funny that I'm doing this 'cause I was never into myspace.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:19 pm Monday
July 9, 2007
Quote From Mallard:
I just screwed around with my profile a little more. I can't seem to figure out how to remove Undisclosed items from my public profile. Like, I don't have any kids so I don't even want that item to show up on my profile. I don't want it to say undisclosed or none or whatever. I'll screw with it some more later though. I'm sure that I'll figure it out.

It's funny that I'm doing this 'cause I was never into myspace.

I just saw your profile. It looks cool, great color scheme. I'm not to into Myspace all that much either but it was the insparation for the site.

So you think the "Undisclosed" stuff is no good? I was wondering about that too and wasn't sure how people would like it. I did it that way because it was easier. I'll start working on a better way of showing (or not showing) that info. Give me a day or two and it will be gone I just have to figure out a better way to do it.
User Imagejeremy
9:44 pm Monday
July 9, 2007
Oh, tight. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. Yeah, I just thought that it would look cooler if I didn't have stuff on there that I didn't have any information submitted for or that I wasn't supplying on my public profile. So that's cool if you can dust that. If not then it's no big deal.
User Imagejeremy
8:13 pm Tuesday
July 10, 2007
Is it just me or is the Browse Profiles function not working yet? I click on the link and I get this form to save browse settings or whatever but there's no button to browse profiles or whatever.
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:46 pm Tuesday
July 10, 2007
Yeah this is a little confusing. You have to hit that "Set Browse Preferences" before you browse the first time. I know this is dumb, but it has to do with the security I put in place. I tryed a bunch of other ways of doing this but they didn't work. So finally I just made it so you had to set what you you were browsing for before browsing.

This is an area I wil revisit and see if I can make it better. I also have to make the search function work better. Right now you can only search for email address. All these things are related to the security setup.

BTW Check out the Slayer Theme in the Style Library.
User Imagejeremy
11:05 pm Tuesday
July 10, 2007
Dude. Represent. I might hafta use that. Except I'm not too into floating images on pages like that. It looks cool though.

Yeah, the search thing doesn't do anything when I use it. Do you hafta check a box in each section every time? I've tried that and it doesn't find anybody. I guess maybe 'cause the boxes that I checked at random don't match up with anybody yet.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:41 am Wednesday
July 11, 2007
Right now there so only 30 people on the board so you're most likely excluding everyone by picking almost any option. You pretty much just have to go with the default settings and hit the button. When you do that you will only get about 13 people.

The rules with browsing are:

First the user has to have their age set for over 18. anyone under 18 should not show up. I don't think people should be able it browse for kids.

Second the user has to have the to have there profile set to browsable. It is set this way by default.

Third people can only be browsed by what is viewable in their PUBLIC profile. So if "gender" is set so that it can be seen on the public profile people can browse for that person under "gender=male or gender = female. However if gender is hidden in their public page they can not be searched for by gender.

This is the security I was talking about. It gets really confussing to code this sometimes. :loco:
User Imagejeremy
1:42 am Wednesday
July 11, 2007
Yeah, see, when I go to that page there are no defaults. Like, none of the boxes are selected except the one on the top right that says ALL. If I don't touch anything and click that button nothing happens.

It's funky.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:20 pm Wednesday
July 11, 2007
That stinks! The only thing I can think is that you don't have cookies enabled.

I'm working on some php code right now that will test for this. I got a little javascript that will test for it but you have to have javascript enabled for it to work.

YOu can try going to this page: http://www.dangpony.com/cookies_enabled.php

If you get a blank screen and nothing happens you have javascript turned off or your running a weird browser.

Otherwise you should get a message telling you if cookies are enabled or disabled.

Let me know what happens.

I will be writing a php code to look for this and I will stick it in that browse page. This way when this happens to people they will at least know why and can takes steps to enable cookies if they wish.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:06 am Thursday
July 12, 2007
That whole "Undisclosed" thing is fixed. Now it only shows the info you say should be shown.
User ImageBillyJack
2:26 am Thursday
July 12, 2007
I think I'm getting this thing figured out:

Hope this is the right link!

http://www.dangpony.com/pub_profile.php?profile=50
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:57 am Thursday
July 12, 2007
Ha Ha look at you! Right On! You look nothing like I thought you would. Its really great to put a face to the person I spend so much time talking with.

The profile looks really cool too.
User ImageT.A.Z
6:31 am Thursday
July 12, 2007
Haha yeah I agree Mike!! BillyJack I always thought you were like 16/17!! lmao!!
User ImageBillyJack
10:16 am Thursday
July 12, 2007
16/17 Hell, I ain't ever posting again! Laughing
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:37 pm Thursday
July 12, 2007
Actually I thought the exact opposite, I thought you would be older looking.

(I wrote this this morning, but I forgot to hit "Submit")
User ImageBillyJack
10:57 pm Thursday
July 12, 2007
Quote From lindyn:
Ha Ha look at you! Right On! You look nothing like I thought you would. Its really great to put a face to the person I spend so much time talking with.

The profile looks really cool too.
Thanks for the Cudo's on the profile. I think I'll get the hang of all the features and be able to crank it up as time goes by.

I agree, it is nice to be able to a face with a name. We've been buds for what, little over two years now? I tell my wife, "I'm doing something for Mike!" she never misses a beat. She knows exaclty who I'm talking about.
(I don't know if that's a good or bad thing! Laughing I may be on here a bit too much!)
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:43 pm Friday
July 13, 2007
Thats funny Kerry was just looking at your profile and asked who you were. The next time in go to OK we'll have to hook up. We can all go out to diner or something.
User ImageBillyJack
4:11 pm Friday
July 13, 2007
Heck yeah! Sound's like plan.
User ImageBillyJack
4:24 pm Monday
July 16, 2007
Hey Mike,
Can you reply to a comment to a picture on DangPony? When I tried, it said I had to be a friend to add comment. I'm mean, I don't like myself much, but I have been known to talk to myself time and again! Laughing

and since I'm here. The answer to your question is yes. That's my graphic work. The guy I made it for couldn't figure out how to get the layout to work so it's my graphics with a very loose base on my design. This is what it's supposed to look like.

http://members.cox.net/alphadogs/ARKHSS2.htm
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:25 pm Monday
July 16, 2007
Yeah you can't reply to comments or tagz yet maybe in the future. I guess the best way to reply is to tag that persons page. Thats how its done on myspace and I haven't thought of a better way of doing it yet.

As to the site... Nice job. I went through most of it. How do you like the forum package you use? It looked pretty cool and I am looking for an alternative to the forum we are currently using.
User ImageBillyJack
7:29 am Tuesday
July 17, 2007
Luke, the owner of the site, has a tech that set everything up. Only thing I can take credit for is page layout and graphics. As for the forum, I like that Simple Machines setup. Coolest feature "Video in Post". It'll do YouTube, Google, RealTime and QuickTime videos, playible from the body of the post. It'd be a kick ass feature for us here to share instructional video with.

Here's the SMF home page if you'd like to check it out:
http://www.simplemachines.org/

They have a support forum to help learn all the cool tricks it's capible of as well:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/
Defualt User ImageAzzCrack
11:34 am Tuesday
July 17, 2007
smf

Only problem with the smf is that it does not allow you to edit, nor change the copyright information (same with php bb). So if you're going to have something like a dang pony... you're better off writing your own forum. But you're semi in luck... I'm working on finishing my forum product that I've used @ fatoonline.com/forum . The one on this site is very simple, but the one I've been working on is like a version 2 of it.

It's not glamorous as it is in the site, but it's a piece of cake to implement... I'll let you know when it's done and I have some sort of package for yah to use if you wanna.
User ImageBillyJack
4:43 pm Tuesday
July 17, 2007
That layout is tight!
User Imagejeremy
9:16 pm Tuesday
July 17, 2007
Quote From lindyn:
http://www.dangpony.com/cookies_enabled.php

When I clicked on that I got a pop-up that said, "cookies are currently enabled". I do have my browser (IE at work) set up to block first and third party cookies though. Maybe that's the deal. Let me scope that out.

EDIT: That was it... I enabled First party cookies and it works now. Thanks, bro!
User Imagejeremy
9:51 pm Tuesday
July 17, 2007
Yo, I was just editing my profile and added the Joined for field and it says... Joined For: Newtworking.

Newtworking? What is that? Does that mean I wanna work with newts in some way?
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:27 pm Tuesday
July 17, 2007
What you don't know know what newtworking is? just kidding thanks for pointing it out I fixed it.
User Imagejeremy
12:04 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Cool. No more newts.
User Imagejeremy
12:12 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Does anybody really know how old BillyJack is? He seems to keep that a secret. Like a superhero.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:20 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Super BillyJack
User Imagejeremy
4:29 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
I knew it!
User ImageT.A.Z
4:47 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
LMFAO Nice one mike!!

Soooo BillyJack how old ARE you?? lol
User ImageBillyJack
7:02 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
ROFLMAO! You don't want me to start in with the PhotoShop! Besides, you made my shoulders way too narrow.

PS. and today, I'm 69!
User ImageBillyJack
8:01 pm Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Hey guys, do me a favor and see if this background makes the load-up take too long.

http://www.dangpony.com/pub_profile.php?profile=50
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:08 pm Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Nah it didn't take to long but I have a pretty fast connection. The profile looks really cool that way.
User ImageBillyJack
11:29 pm Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Now I just have to figure out what to do next! Confused
User ImageT.A.Z
10:29 am Thursday
July 19, 2007
It took a little bit to load up for me BillyJack. Still looks pretty cool when it does though!!
User ImageBillyJack
11:58 am Thursday
July 19, 2007
Thanks WildSideHamster. That rain and fire combo took a little egineering! Laughing The 9 YouTube links may be slowing it down a bit too. You think the load up time is worth leaving it like that?
User ImageBillyJack
5:56 pm Sunday
July 22, 2007
My first blog! Laughing

http://www.dangpony.com/pub_blog_view.php?profile=50&blog_id=53
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:24 pm Sunday
July 22, 2007
Ha! ha! Love it! I'll comment on it tonight.
User Imagejeremy
7:30 pm Monday
July 23, 2007
That information seems so familiar to me for some reason. Actually I think that Ive had nightmares about it.
User ImageBillyJack
10:07 am Tuesday
July 24, 2007
LOL! Other than you dude, I've not recieved any real feedback from it. Before I invest in a programmer to set up the interactive software, I need to get as much feedback as possible. You still have an advantage though.

You have the disc to "PLAY ALL" for now and the free software, if that ever comes to light! Very happy
User Imagejeremy
6:57 pm Tuesday
July 24, 2007
Sweet!
User Imagejeremy
9:32 pm Tuesday
June 30, 2009
Quote:
Query failed: No database selected

That´s what I get when I try to hit Dangpony. Has that site been down for long? I rarely go on there but every once in a while I sign in for a bit.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:28 am Friday
July 10, 2009
OMFG Shocked They lost the whole database Cursing Cursing Cursing its gone all!!!! I have no backup Cry

I called them about this the other day they said they have no record of any change....(I said "Well I know I sure didn´t delete the db!") But they did migrate the whole thing to a new server and setup a whole new DB administration section.... That site was hosted with the same company that kept messing things up with GKN about a year ago or so before we moved over to this server so this should not be a total shock.

Anyway All I have is the dev db for dangpony so I might not even bring it back. After two years running there were only like 90 members anyway... It just never caught on.

I still might bring it back just for giggles but I´ve been really busy since I came back and have not had a chance yet.
User Imagejeremy
1:02 pm Friday
July 10, 2009
Dang... pony. That´s pretty weak. I never got fully into that site myself ´cause I´m just not into any type of community sites like that. I´m probably one of the few who doesn´t even have a myspace account or Facebook or anything like that.

I like GKN though. This is my kinda site. Direct interaction with other guitar players is cool.
User ImageTerry
1:32 am Saturday
July 11, 2009
word to yo motha! Smoke
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:44 am Saturday
July 11, 2009
Thanks guys. Smile

Dangpony was just a myspace ripoff with a few cooler tools. It was actually designed to be a slightly more underground myspace cause there was that whole public and private profile thing.

But I agree GKN is more my speed too. Wink
User ImageTerry
2:30 pm Saturday
July 11, 2009
your welcome bro!!!
thank you for doing this shit.
its cool that someone can be so passionate about the guitar that they spend this much time putting all this together for the benifit of the ever learning guitar player. Guitar