Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Just curious

Defualt User Imageship of fools
11:33 am Friday
April 6, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hello there just another annoying newbie question for ya all, do we have any acoustic players here,sorry guys if someone else has already asked to lazy to go through the search engine, I don't get around to playing my electrics anymore, so for me its all acoustics with once in a blue moon electrics.louis
User ImageBillyJack
11:56 am Friday
April 6, 2007
I lean pretty heavy toward the acoustics. My goto guitar is a Custom Shop Contoured Ovation Legend and my traveler (beater) is an Applause shallow belly. About the only use I have for an electric anymore is sitting in my living room unpluged to run scale patterns while watching TV. That and my bass are the only solid bodies I mess with now.
Defualt User Imageship of fools
12:15 pm Friday
April 6, 2007
Well

Well howdy BillyJack from Canada,west coast Vancouver.
I have mostly Washburn acoustics these days with a few others thrown in, only have an old Brentwood electric,down sized from a large collection of Strats and Tele's mostly and to many others from years past,I noticed on another post that you have been trying to kicked down Charlie Daniels, Devil Went Down To Georgia song, how did you make out with it, its a thought intro for an acoustic I still can only make it sound decent for my ears, its not a song I have had a chnace to get to play in front of a crowd,nor do I think I am up to that task.Do you allow posting of your equipment on the forum through photobucket
User ImageBillyJack
2:55 pm Friday
April 6, 2007
Well ship of fools, I neglected to say welcome so, Welcome to GKN!

On "Devil Went Down to Georgia" I can hammer and pull it well enough to make it impressive out by a campfire but, I'm still about 20bpms to slow to show case it note for note. Using some alt picking I can get every note without hammers and pulls but, speed is still my killer.

As for your equipment pictures, Mike has a "Gear Here" section on the forum to show off your stuff. We'd be glad to some drooling! Very happy
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:47 pm Friday
April 6, 2007
I also play much more acoustic than electric now a days. In fact I play my nylon string guitar more than anything else. I still love plugging in every now and then but the way my life is right now its just easier not to be tied to my amp.
User Imagejeremy
10:30 pm Wednesday
April 11, 2007
Funny. I'm an almost PURE electric player But just today I busted out the nylon and started playing it. The reason is that I'm gonna be a "special guest" for my girlfriend's 1st grade class and I'm gonna rip through some songs and sing with them. So I needed to dust off my acoustic as well as my acoustic playing. I have a nice Martin too but my fingers aren't down with that right now. I'd need more time to hit it with a steel string. Summer is coming though. Summer is all about kickin' it on the back deck with the Martin.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:51 am Thursday
April 12, 2007
Are you going to bust out some slayer :bang2: Careful now you don't wanta make them cry. Wink

But seriously...
That sounds like fun. Do you have a basic set list? I hate to admit it but I do a couple of wiggles tunes for my kids as well as a pretty rockin version of I'd like to visit the moon by Ernie from Sesame Street.
User ImageBillyJack
6:45 am Thursday
April 12, 2007
Do Sesame Street tunes still work? I never played for a group of 1st graders but, at that age, my now 19 year old needed the theme to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to hook him.

Heroes in a half shell.....TURTLE POWER! Very happy

I can phrase his life in four quarters:
1st) Sesame Street tunes
2nd) Cartoon Theme songs
3rd) Mickey Mouse Pop songs
4th) God knows what they call it now! Roll Eyes

I think I'd have a blast playing for a class like that. Have fun with it Mallard.
User Imagejeremy
12:07 am Friday
April 13, 2007
Yeah, I will.

You know, I might hafta play Slayer. I don't know any kids songs. Are there any in the archive? The only nice songs that I know are some James Taylor songs. My girl did give me a disc with some kid's songs on it. The one song on there is called "Little Piggy Blues" or something. It's a 12-bar deal. She thought that it would be cool to introduce the kids to blues music. Kinda create a little educational lesson out of it. I think that I'll be able to just play anything and the kids will dig it. I get along really well with kids 'cause I'm from a HUGE family. So it's gonna be cool.

I'm totally jacking ship of fools's thread...
User Imagejeremy
8:49 pm Wednesday
April 25, 2007
I visited the 1st grade class yesterday. It was fun. I showed them the guitar and explained how it works and played for them. Then I played one of the kid's songs that they knew and they sung along. That was REALLY cool. I'm gonna be doing this again.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:02 am Thursday
April 26, 2007
Right on that sounds like so much fun. I will have to do that if I get the chance. Kids of that age are great and most get a real kick out of something as cool as guitars.
User Imagejeremy
12:12 am Thursday
April 26, 2007
Totally. The one little dude was SO into watching me play. He sat like right at my foot the whole time watching. It was pretty cool. They were going around the room asking questions an' stuff and the one little girl asked me if I was a rock star. I just kinda laughed and said, "No". It was cute though.
User Imagejeremy
10:04 pm Wednesday
May 23, 2007
Looks like I'm going back to the class again next week. This time I'm gonna learn more of the songs that my girl sings with them so that I can play more stuff with them while they sing and I'm also gonna play an electric with a small amp instead of an acoustic this time.

We're also getting a small student guitar for that little dude who's all into the guitar. He's gonna be stoked. I think it's rad 'cause I wish that I had started when I was 5 or 6. He's gonna be stoked.
User Imagejeremy
10:31 pm Wednesday
May 30, 2007
This went down yesterday. I showed them the electric guitar this time as well as some cool pedals an' such. It was fun. Those kids were amped. They all wanted my autograph at the end. That was funny. Here's a pic of them singing and playing along...