Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

John 5

User ImageT.A.Z
8:02 am Tuesday
July 10, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Well I gotta say Im really loving this guy right now!! Mike I think you should be adding this monster to the suggested listening!!

Check this stuff out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imnYOUT4G3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PN74dTGT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxOznGQcdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXVBL8TbblE

I think I ay have already posted a couple of these but the guy is amazing!! Theres a clip on youtube of him playing Marilyn Manson performing Beautiful people and Manson kicks him in the face at the beginning you wouldn't mess with the guy either he looks like he's about to rip mansons head off!!
User ImageBillyJack
8:23 am Tuesday
July 10, 2007
I liked Behind the Nut Love just cause of what he's doing and who wouldn't like Welcome to the Jungle crafted out like that. TOO COOL!
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:32 am Tuesday
July 10, 2007
That was great. I never knew this guy could play like this. I will add him.
User Imagejeremy
6:48 pm Tuesday
July 10, 2007
I read so much about this dude in guitar magazines but I never checked him out. I should get some of his stuff. I saw him with Manson a while back. It was a great show. His playin' is as freaky as his looks.
User ImageT.A.Z
4:16 am Wednesday
July 11, 2007
He's incredible guys!! I've only got his first album at the moment, but I shall hopefully be ordering the rest this week Very happy Oh and along with BillyJacks game Very happy
User ImageT.A.Z
4:49 am Wednesday
July 18, 2007
Well after a trip to a nearby city yesterday I found a HMV music store and located John's 2nd album, Songs for Sanity, and I've gotta say...WOW!!

You can't listen to just one song, because after you've heard two in a row you think "What the hell is he going to play next!!??!!" lol

His style is sodiverse when it comes to playing and songwriting the you never know what he's gonna do. Its really cool
User ImageFenderBender
3:47 pm Wednesday
July 18, 2007
wow! he's got kind of a buckethead thing going on with all of the crazieness in there... cool stuff tho...

funny thing is 3rd one down on the hamsters list almost sounds like an eclectic metal country pickin thing....
User ImageT.A.Z
10:27 am Thursday
July 19, 2007
Yeah it is mate lol He covered a bluegrass country song called Sugar Foot Rag and shreds it up a little bit like. He does a lot of country/bluegrass inspired stuff like.
User Imagejeremy
7:32 pm Monday
July 23, 2007
I gotta score some of his stuff. Maybe the one you justed mentioned.
User Imagejeremy
7:41 pm Monday
July 23, 2007
I just went and added The Devil Knows My Name to my Amazon Wish List.
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:54 pm Monday
July 23, 2007
I finally added him to the list. I want to hear more from him too but I'm not a big Manson fan. I'll have to check out The Devil Knows My Name too.
User ImageT.A.Z
1:47 pm Wednesday
July 25, 2007
Forget about Manson Mike!! He has a couple of riffs that are a little manson inspired but other than that its COMPLETELY different!!

Here ya go for anyone that wants to have a listen...

http://www.myspace.com/john5official

...check out the tunes on there!!
User ImageDarin
10:39 pm Saturday
August 11, 2007
Yeah his track "Needles CA" is really cool. I also read a lot about him in mags but only recently heard his stuff. Interesting that he uses pretty much only teles even for the hard stuff.

I might have to pick up a tele.
User ImageT.A.Z
11:30 am Sunday
August 19, 2007
Haha funny you should mention that. I just picked up a tele replica!! haha
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:49 am Wednesday
August 22, 2007
cool I still need to pick up a tele too.
User Imagejeremy
9:57 pm Wednesday
August 22, 2007
Not to get all negative about it but that's one type of guitar that I don't have and don't ever want to have. Kinda like the SG except I made the mistake of buying an SG so now I own one. But I won't make that mistake with the Telecaster. I'm just not into that guitar.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:32 am Thursday
August 23, 2007
I know what you mean I used to feel the same way. I still kinda hate SGs but for same reason my opinion of teles has changed. What I once thought was awful I now see as cool.

Right now the tele is about third on my list of guitars to get. First is an acoustic line6 variaxe, then an American Strat and finally a American Tele (blond).
User Imagejeremy
6:25 pm Thursday
August 23, 2007
Nice. How close are you to buying that first one on your list?
User ImageMike Lindyn
6:36 pm Thursday
August 23, 2007
Ha! Thats funny... I'm nowhere close. Cry I just bought a new house so now we're pretty much broke. But I have a new studio so I can't complain to much Wink . I'm always watching ebay for one of these to be sold pretty cheep but right now I can't think of dropping a grand or more on a guitar.

Maybe next year Thumbs Up
User Imagejeremy
10:08 pm Friday
August 31, 2007
Nice. How many guitars do you have? I don't think that there's a thread anywhere that we discussed that in. I stopped buying guitars somewhere in my late 20's. For a while I was buying like one or two per year after I graduated from high school. I don't even know how many I have now. I just don't know. I think 24.
User ImageFenderBender
11:13 am Friday
September 21, 2007
funny - I feel the same way about SG's and teles... for some reason, just don't like em'. I have a buddy that has an american tele that he loves... I don't have the heart to tell him how much I HATE it... it's too thin sounding and feels way too light... almost like a toy.. same with the SG... just doesn't sit right...
Now his les paul custom classic... I'd kick the wife out for that one =)

At the moment I only own my #1 fender fat strat and an acoustic but my next axe will be a Dean ML flame top, rosewood fingerboard and floyd rose whammy..... and like you Mike, I'm NOWHERE near getting it.. working on it... but still nowhere near!
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:17 pm Friday
September 21, 2007
Sorry Mallard I didn't see your question before today.

Wow you have 24 guitars? That's awesome! Do you play them all regularly? Which is your favorite?

I have 5. I was up to about 8 at one point but thats about it. My collection consists of two solid body electrics, one hollow body electric, a bass and a nylon string acoustic.

I had a Martin as my steel string acoustic but it broke last year and I have not replaced it yet. The line6 I was talking about would be that replacement.

I'd like to pick up a 12 string some day too that way I'd be able to represent every major type of modern guitar.

Oh yeah, by the way... I just found out I might be getting that Line6 acoustic soon than I thought. Very happy

Fenderbender -
Yeah those Les Paul's are sweet I love the LP supreme personally but they are out of my budget (about $3K ) I don't even think about'em Roll Eyes . I have about a $1500 limit on just about any guitar but you can also get some nice guitars for under 1500 Wink
User Imagejeremy
8:52 pm Wednesday
September 26, 2007
Nice. I have a Martin that my nephew helped build (he works for Martin) and bought for me as a Christmas present. He's my favorite nephew now! I play that a lot.

But yeah, I have 20-some guitars. I actually lost count. I think it's 24 though. I gave a couple of them to my nephew to use indefinitely. I don't play them all the time but I do play them all at some point during the year just to make sure that they're okay.

I do have a nice 12-string Yamaha acoustic that I love so much and play a lot. My favorite is the Les Paul (that's pictured with me on my DP profile). I use that for rock applications. Then there's the ESP MKII that gets hit a lot. And my NJ Series BC Rich Warlock (that my nephew and I took an orbital sander to so that my arm would be more comfortable goin' over the top of the body and in the process made the guitar look even cooler).

I have a Dime Washburn that I like to use. I have a couple of LP Studios that get hit a bit as well as my SRV Strat. I have one of the old Universe 7-strings from back in the day. The green one. I play that a bit.

All the others just get played once in a while. I have acoustics (nylon and steel) and a couple other strats (including the Malmsteen signature one which is really weird to play with the scalloped frets).

I also have a 6-string Ibanez Soundgear bass that I never play.
User ImageNate
7:30 pm Friday
February 22, 2008
John 5 is one of those guitar players I always heard alot about but avoided due to his ties with Manson. Not because I have a probem with the guy, just because I have never been into his music. I never found it to be very "instrumental." A little too simple I suppose. But when I finally did stumble across some of his stuff I must admit, he's a beast! He can play alot of different material and I definitely have alot of respect for the guy now.

Mallard, tell me about the Malmsteen Strat!
User ImageT.A.Z
3:23 pm Tuesday
August 12, 2008
Just gotta talk about this guy again. I´ve been working out a few of his songs recently and creating some backing tracks, and spending the time learning these songs and looking at and learning all these new techniques has really opened up my eyes to so many different styles!!

How the hell he can incorporate his country style licks into shred playing is beyond me completely, and also his use of effects is crazy!!!
User Imagejeremy
12:03 am Thursday
August 14, 2008
I still haven´t gotten into this dude yet. I need to just score one of his discs and dig in. I´m gonna add one to my next Amazon order.
User Imagejeremy
4:22 am Thursday
August 14, 2008
Tight. I just ordered the new one, REQUIEM. It´s on. I previewed all the tracks on Amazon. It sounds heavy with some cool, fast licks.
User Imagejeremy
5:11 am Thursday
August 14, 2008
Check this out. John is doing a clinic at a shop near me on September 12th. I work that night but I should take a few hours off and hit that.
User ImageT.A.Z
7:06 am Thursday
August 14, 2008
I still haven´t got "The Devil Knows My Name" or " Requiem" haha Still getting my head around the first 2 albums!!

Yeah Johns being doing clinics over the past couple of months playing his songs and doing some covers of old country stuff. I´d love to go...however being on the wrong side of pond I@m kinda stuck!! haha Let me know what "Requiem"´s like Jeremy!!
User Imagejeremy
8:52 pm Thursday
August 14, 2008
Don´t you know how to swim? I´ll let you know how the disc is as well as the clinic. I took the night off for that Friday. I´m going.
User ImageT.A.Z
3:21 am Friday
August 15, 2008
No I dont as a matter of fact!! haha

Awesome man. Get pictures!!!
User Imagejeremy
4:28 am Friday
August 15, 2008
My girl is goin´ with me. She´s into taking pictures of everything so I´m sure we´ll have lots of pictures.
User ImageMike Lindyn
6:27 pm Saturday
August 16, 2008
oooh post them when you get them!
User Imagejeremy
7:31 pm Wednesday
August 20, 2008
Will do, dude. Hopefully I´ll meet the dude for a little. He seems really cool. He was featured in OCT ´08 GW issue. He showed a big part of his Tele collection. I´ve never been into the Tele but he has some sweet guitars.
User Imagejeremy
9:24 pm Wednesday
August 27, 2008
I´m listening to Requiem now. Some of this stuff is nice an´ heavy. I like it. Lotsa good ´tar leads too.
User Imagejeremy
8:17 pm Thursday
September 11, 2008
clinic pwnt

The John 5 Clinic Scheduled for Sept. 12
has been temporarily cancelled.

Below is the official news release from the John 5 website.

September 4, 2008
John 5´s Fender & Zoom Clinic Tour Postponed

Hollywood, CA (September 4, 2008) - Guitarist John 5 has postponed his current clinic tour slated to start in Orlando, FL due to shoulder injury. The injury was caused during a bike outing, hitting an unknown object and being thrown from the bike. He is expected to heal and have a fast recovery with physical therapy to insure he does not lose his magic touch. "I am sorry to all that were coming for the performance, but I will make it up and announce new dates soon," states John 5.
User Imagejeremy
11:37 pm Tuesday
May 31, 2011
My girl just got me The Devil Knows My Name for our anniversary. I didn´t have that one yet. And we´re goin´ to see the show on 07/20/11. My favorite band, of course, is Slayer but it´s cool that they have a good act with them this summer. I´m gonna dig it. We´re in the PIT so I´ll be up close and crackin´ heads with dudes while seeing some good leads an´ stuff.
User ImageT.A.Z
2:45 pm Wednesday
June 1, 2011
My favourite of his albums mate, absolutely stonking album!!!

Zombie´s an awesome show mate you´ll love it!!
User Imagejeremy
5:53 pm Wednesday
June 1, 2011
Yeah. I´ve seen Zombie quite a few times when I was an Ozzfest regular. He played that festival a lot. But I think that John was with him only one of the times that I saw them. And we were quite far away from the stage. So, it´ll be cool to be up close to see him. Especially now that I´m a fan of his playing.
User Imagejeremy
5:19 am Monday
July 25, 2011
We saw Zombie last Wednesday (with Slayer). That was an amazing show. Zombie´s set with all the props and stuff really added to their performance. There´s just so much to look at. We were stage-left right in front of the barrier so we had a close-up look at John 5 as well as Kerry King (who´s my favorite guitar player). John 5 is a great player. He had a short but sweet solo section where he just shredded with his kinda spacey, countrified, neo-shred style. It was really cool to watch that up close like that. Slayer was amazing too. They´re my favorite band on the planet. I hadn´t seen them in a few years so it was cool to see them put on another great performance. My girl took some good pictures of John. I´ll post a couple here once she processes them.
User Imagejeremy
8:49 pm Monday
July 25, 2011
User ImageT.A.Z
4:04 am Wednesday
July 27, 2011
That´s a great pic Jeremy, gald you and your girl had a good time
User Imagejeremy
1:23 am Friday
August 5, 2011
Yeah. That was one of my favorite pictures that she took. That was taken during his solo spot when he played the Star Spangled Banner with his teeth.