Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

mandolin?

User Imagejeremy
1:17 am Friday
August 24, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
My girl's Father past away a couple years ago and one of the things he left her was a mandolin. So it's been sittin' around the house for a while. I looked at it one time just to check it out and I put it back in the case without really playing it. But lately I got it back out and wanted to see what I could do with it. It turns out that I really like it. The first song I decided to learn of course was The Battle of Evermore. I was really into it. It seems easier to play than the guitar because the frets are so small. I just had to get used to the spacing between the strings and the tuning. But now I wanna learn more songs. What are some good mandolin songs? Preferably ones that I can find some Powertab for?
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:59 pm Friday
August 24, 2007
That sounds great. Its also a cool thing to do as a tribute to your father in-law. I'd love a mandolin they make a great sound and like you said I think they would be easy to learn the basics of.
User ImageBillyJack
12:16 am Saturday
August 25, 2007
You want to learn how to get around on Mandolin, hang out with some Bluegrass pickers for awhile. Yeah, I know, not my style of music either, but after a year of playing with those guys, I collected quite a few cool licks to add to my bag of tricks.
User Imagejeremy
10:01 pm Wednesday
August 29, 2007
Where do you find those dudes? So far I've only managed to find dudes who play metal.
User ImageBillyJack
10:18 pm Wednesday
August 29, 2007
Try checking in on some of these.

http://www.gigmasters.com/Bluegrass/BluegrassBand_Pennsylvania.asp
User Imagejeremy
10:43 pm Wednesday
August 29, 2007
Nice. There's actually a club in a neighboring town that caters to bluegrass type bands... or acoustic bands. I should see who's rollin' through there the rest of this year.