Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

WHAT CHORD PROGRESSION AND SCALES NEXT?

Defualt User Imagepunk
4:38 pm Wednesday
August 29, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hi can any1 help?

iv reached a point in my guitar soloing and chord progressions and am not sure where to go from here.
basically i know the major scales,its relative minor,some blues scales and the pentatonic scales and know that they solo over the major scale chord progressions.I know how to play all the major and minor chords.

WHAT SCALES AND CHORD PROGRESSIONS NEXT?????
i like playing rock so would like to learn towards that style..I keep hearing about augmented,diminished,suspended ect,but im not sure which ones i should concentrate on,i havnt started learning any of them as i dont wona waist time learning ones that i mite never use if that makes sence.
basically i wona learn new chords and understand there chord progressions and the scales that go with them,anything but major,minor chords and there scales cause i know them pretty well.
thanks
User ImageBillyJack
8:56 pm Wednesday
August 29, 2007
Welcome to GKN punk!
Sounds like you're just about ripe for some basic theory. So you know the Major do you? I just love it when someone says that, don't I Mallard? Here, follow me and let's take a walk on the dark side!

There's 7 friendly little exercises I've created and posted on the page linked below. Try your luck with them and then ask your question again. Have fun and good luck with it.

http://www.dangpony.com/pub_blog_view.php?profile=50&blog_id=53

Just to give you some food for thought, the "F" is augmented and the "B" is diminished on the exercises.
User Imagejeremy
10:06 pm Wednesday
August 29, 2007
What's this Major stuff you dudes are talkin' about?
Defualt User Imagepunk
2:00 am Thursday
August 30, 2007
ok cool.
tried the excersices and didnt do to badly,it is pretty much the same stuff that my guitar teacher gave me to do.i will obvously still keep doing those excersizes cause i dont have them down 100% and the major scale is so varied its crazy.

but am still itching for some new scales and chords.any recommendations on new scales....am i correct in saying that if im into rock and punk songs,major and pentatonic scales are the main or only scales that u play rock with.
thanks for the help guys
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:29 pm Thursday
August 30, 2007
Hi Punk, Nice to meet you Smile

Here are a few ideas to get you started. Expanded explanations of most of these ideas can be found in the lesson zone or by looking up the chords or scale in the full fretboard finder.

7th Chords
Do you work with seventh chords yet? It would be a good idea to learn the seventh chords in the Major/Minor keys

Key of C Major Diatonic 7th Chords
I = C Major 7th
ii = D minor 7th
iii = E min 7th
IV = F Maj 7th
V = G7
vi = A min 7th
vii = B half diminished 7th

Inversions
Have you started working on inversions yet? You can spend a good deal of time working on them. They also open up ideas that can be used in chord progressions or soloing.

Incorporate the Two Above Ideas
I spent a few months working on just the inversions for the diatonic 7th chords of the major & natural minor scales. I still use some of them a lot. Just about the only way I use the Half Diminished chord is in its second inversion form.

If you have not already, start incorporating 7th chords and their inversion into the your progressions. Use them as arpeggios in your melodies.

Pentatonic and Blues
Next make sure to learn the pentatonic scale in all five positions and see how the pentatonic scale can be used over the major/natural minor scale. It will fit over three of the modes. This is extremely helpful.

Other Scales
There are alway other chord and scale fingerings to learn. I will not go into other chords right now but the most helpful scales Ive found other than major/minor are:
Harmonic Minor (and its modes)
The Diminished Scale (which is nothing more than a dim 7th chord)
and
The Gypsy Scale (This is just an alteration of the harmonic minor scale's 5th mode. but its really cool)

Hope this helps let me know if you have any questions,
Mike
User Imagejeremy
10:26 pm Thursday
August 30, 2007
Harmonic Minor owns. I'm gonna tackle that thoroughly after I'm finished with my current exploration into the Major Scale. I mean, I'll never be finished with anything but I'll get to point where I'll feel that I've learned a good deal of new stuff in a given area and I'll move on to something else. Keeps it interesting.
Defualt User Imagepunk
2:00 am Friday
August 31, 2007
sweet lindyn that was the answer iv been looking for for so long....will get cracking straight away that should keep me busy for a while.
User ImageBillyJack
7:27 am Friday
August 31, 2007
Quote From punk:
sweet lindyn that was the answer iv been looking for for so long....will get cracking straight away that should keep me busy for a while.
Mike (lindyn) is awesome when it comes to giving guidance, that's what makes this site really worth its weight in gold!

Do me a favor punk, as you go through working on the things Mike has laid out for you there, go back and relate them to the exercises. For example:

Key of C Major Diatonic 7th Chords
I = C Major 7th = (1,3,5,7)
ii = D minor 7th = (1,b3,5,b7)
iii = E min 7th = (1,b3,5,b7)
IV = F Maj 7th = (1,3,5,7)
V = G7 = (1,3,5,b7)
vi = A min 7th = (1,b3,5,b7)
vii = B half diminished 7th = (1,b3,b5,b7)

The intervals that create these chords are the 1,3,5 & 7 of the exercises I reffered you to.

Now take the 2,4 or 6 from each pattern set and add them to your chords and you have all the harmonics that make up your 9, 11 & 13th chord extentions.

It would be boring to just focus on the Major, but if you'll always try to relate what you do back to the Major, it'll open up doors for you in the long run that are often overlooked in course of studing different aspects of music theory.
Defualt User Imagepunk
1:09 pm Friday
August 31, 2007
SAWEET...probably learnt more on this site in 5min than i have searching the internet in 5months.
nice one guys
User Imagejeremy
7:29 pm Friday
August 31, 2007
Yeah that tends to happen around here. I've picked up a lot of new ideas from Mike and BillyJack that I probably woulda never thought of on my own. That's why I keep coming back.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:36 pm Friday
August 31, 2007
Very Cool glad it helps. Thumbs Up
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:59 am Monday
November 12, 2007
bump

FOr test reasons