Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Ordered My New Guitar!!!!

User ImageMike Lindyn
12:31 pm Friday
October 5, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
I just ordered this guitar.

Its a Seagull Coastline Grand.

I used to manage a music store and this was the guitar I loved playing more than all the others even the ones that cost two or three times as much. I always told myself I'd buy one some day and since I'm sick of waiting to replace my acoustic figured I'd get it now.

I was thinking about getting one of those variax acoustics but fender just came out with their VG model and I think I'll save my money and get one of those next year or something.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:37 pm Friday
October 5, 2007
By the way can anyone suggest a good acoustic pickup. I'm leaning toward a Martin ThinLine... Any ideas?

Thanks.
User Imagejeremy
9:58 am Saturday
October 6, 2007
Dude, nice. This old dude at my work always talks about the Seagull guitars. I've never played one though. I don't know much about acoustic pickups. I do have one of those Dean Markley ones that you just pop into the hole. It kinda rocks.
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:38 pm Saturday
October 6, 2007
Yeah the old guy is right these guitars rock and they are very nicely priced. If you are in the market for a Martin or Taylor try them side by side to a seagull and you will be impressed and they cost about half the price.

I'll check out the Dean Markley pickups but I'm leaning towards something that can be installed and can't be seen. I know there are a few type of these on the market but I have no idea which are the best.
User ImageBillyJack
9:37 am Sunday
October 7, 2007
Here you go Mike, maybe this will help.

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:37 pm Sunday
October 7, 2007
Yeah that is really cool.

Nice to be able to hear each one side by side.

Thanks BillyJack!
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:20 pm Saturday
October 13, 2007
Ok so the guitar came yesterday. I've played it for about 8 hours so far and I thought I'd tell you what I think.

Here are my thoughts:
It has a GREAT sound. Much louder than you would expect from such a small guitar. Right now I think it sounds about as good as the Martin I'm replacing. Its a little tinny on the higher frets of the B and E strings.

It also plays very nicely but I had to replace the strings with a set of light gauge strings now its just about right. I have been without a steel string acoustic for about 8 or 9 months now so I'm not as used to playing them anymore and they are a lot harder to play than my nylon string or any of my electric guitars. Also I've grown used to finger picking exclusively on my nylon string and the steel string is not nearly as comfortable. But again this is more of a statement about steel string vs nylon string more than a statement about this particular guitar.

The only problem I have with the guitar is its a little smaller than I remembered, even smaller than my nylon string. This makes playing it a little hard because it sits lower in my lap which forces my wrist to twist more than normal.

Overall I really like it. I'd give it four and a quarter stars out of a possible 5 stars. And since the price is so low (about $450 including delivery charges) there are very few guitars on the market that have this much quality for such a low price.
User ImageFenderBender
4:52 pm Monday
October 15, 2007
Nice guitar Mike!

before I bought my Takamine, I was considering a seagull with an onboard pickup and 5 band eq. But at the time I could afford the Takamine and a good case to boot. I'm not sorry about what I chose but I did REALLY like that seagull. The guitar had a really nice resonance to it as well as the playability of the neck. Some guitars when new are sticky. This was smooth....

good luck with it!

btw - for pickups.. I have a dean markley pro series that I use with the Takamine and it sounds great! sounds like I paid a LOT more than I actually did.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:40 am Wednesday
October 17, 2007
Hi FenderBender,

Can't blame you for going with the Takamine they are nice.

I'll check out that Dean Markley pickup too. Since you and Mallard both say its good I'll have to check it out.