Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Repair Advice

User ImageDarin
12:37 pm Friday
October 5, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hello. My Les Paul is sick. The B and High E from the 15th fret to the body are fretting out. Just dead. It's about 5 years old and was professionally setup when I got it and its been taken care of.

Everything I've read and heard talk about this problem on flat top acoustics.

I haven't done anything yet but I'd like to avoid shelling out $$ for this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:15 pm Friday
October 5, 2007
On an acoustic I would be inclined to say it was the body that was bowing by the bridge. However since this is an electric I would say its a neck issue.

I would suggest bringing it in somewhere. This will mean $$$ Mad I know that sucks but I just would not feel comfortable doing something like this myself.
User Imagejeremy
9:55 am Saturday
October 6, 2007
That's an interesting spot to have fretting out. I don't think that I've ever had it on the higher frets like that. Maybe one fret but not an entire string. Yeah, I'm not even sure how I'd go about that fix.
User ImageDarin
9:46 pm Saturday
October 27, 2007
I finally took it to a friend of a friend that's a guitar tech. He raised the bridge on the treble side quit a bit and that made it about 90% of where it was. I guess I'll settle for that.

I'm not sure how it got so wanked but I do have two small kids......I let them play with an electric guitar that I dedicated sacrificial to them but I'm wondering if they messed with a guitar that was off limits. Oh well, my own fault for leaving it on a stand that is within small hands.

Thanks, for the replies and suggestions.
User Imagejeremy
11:06 pm Monday
October 29, 2007
Cool. Hopefully you can still rip on that thing.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:38 am Sunday
November 4, 2007
I can relate with the kid/musical instrument woes. I've already lost my Martin to a toddler learning to walk and most recently I found Sharpy permanent marker on my keyboard Shocked

Oh well... Still gotta love'em right?
User Imagejeremy
11:17 pm Sunday
November 4, 2007
Nice. There's this dude at my work who has a 1-year-old now. And he has guitars, computers, game systems and all kinds of tech stuff. He's really into technology. And they live in a small apartment. He's starting to learn now how much a little kid can do. I'll most likely never have kids myself but I come from a huge family so I've been around kids all my life. I had to get to a point where I didn't care if they scratched my guitars up. In fact, they kinda influenced me to scratch up my guitars on purpose. I'm really destructive with my guitars now. I owe that to my family. I love them for that.