Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Competition section for the new GKN?

User ImageMike Lindyn
12:33 am Thursday
February 14, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
So there are these guitar competition sites out there that seem to have a following. Do you think this would be something fun to add to the new GKN.

Pro? Cons?
User ImageBillyJack
7:38 am Thursday
February 14, 2008
I think it'd be killer! What kind of format are you concidering, live or record and post? I'm not into the competitions so I'm not sure how they're ran. I do like the jam sessions on 6StringH. Got run for now, but I can think of a few pros and cons to this and I'll post them later on.
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:18 am Thursday
February 14, 2008
I think I would have to do the prerecorded type just because I'm not sure how or if I could do the live type. I have a cool idea for the interface and it shouldn't take too long to build.

The video jam would be really cool too. I think Rick from 6Stringheaven uses a flash comm server. He and I talked about it right when he started it but I can't remember now. I'm looking into new hosts right now so this may be doable if I find a host with the right setup at a price I can afford.
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:08 am Saturday
February 16, 2008
Alright I've been kicking this idea around and it has been added to the to do list. I don't think its reveling too much to post the new top menu bar. (you have to be logged in to see the picture)

Rest assured there is a LOT you are not seeing in this menu... The real goodies are located in you main member page (inside the "Home" button).
User ImageBillyJack
7:00 am Saturday
February 16, 2008
That'll be sweeeeeet! I like that your doing a horizontal menu bar. I dig the home page as it is now, being broken down into sections, but the menu being vertical like it is currently has always had the wrong feel to it for me and I couldn't put my finger on why till I saw this bar. I mean it works, don't get me wrong, but to me in it's current form, doesn't do a just job of pulling the site together. I don't know if this makes sense, but instead of it feeling like a site with many tools you can take advantage of, it has the feel of many seperate sites and nothing to pull them together as one.

Hope that comes across right!
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:28 pm Saturday
February 16, 2008
I totally know what you are saying. There will still be side menus in the various member sections but all the major navigation by visitors will be through the top menu.

To tell the truth the current version of gkn is like a frankenstien monster. It was patched together little by little. That's why some sections have a completely different look than others. This is the first time I'm going to have a constant look and feel through out. But thats not the coolest thing by a long shot. Wink
User Imagejeremy
11:18 pm Sunday
February 17, 2008
I dig the new bar. Not to bust on the old design but I never liked it. I thought that it was hard to read. Maybe I'm just old. Yeah, right. This new design will be a major improvement.
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:37 pm Monday
February 18, 2008
I agree. The site's look hasn't been updated in like two years personally I hate the way it looks right now. The new look is very clean and easy to read.

I'm going to send the two of you a link over the week or so to try out the new site. But again its not the look that will be the coolest part.
User Imagejeremy
8:45 pm Monday
February 18, 2008
Tight. I'll definitely check that out. Yeah, I've always thought that the index page or whatever you wanna call it didn't fit with the design of the main parts of the site. Like, all the lessons an' stuff were so clean and easy to read (which is what attracted me to this site in the first place) but then the index page was kinda hard to read and just kinda didn't match.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:08 am Wednesday
February 20, 2008
Actually the front page was made for no other reason than to allow google to read the contents of the site. Google can't read Flash content and since 80% of the site was made in flash google couldn't read it. They would see the site linked by lots of other sites and give it a good ranking but google would then kick GKN off its list because it couldn't read the site contents. After months & months of going through this I finally just pulled together that index page without really caring what it looked like. It works well for google indexing but you're right it looks really bad.

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday but I was sick as a dog. I'm still feeling down but getting better. I'm going back to bed for a while talk to you guys later.
User Imagejeremy
9:00 pm Sunday
February 24, 2008
Yeah. I just signed on now to see if you PM'd us a link. I'll keep checking. Get better!
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:26 pm Tuesday
February 26, 2008
It will be another week or two before its ready for testing. Right now its not even on a public server I have it on a test server at my work just because its easier to work on that way. Last two days I've made no progress as things have been busy but I'll get a lot done tomorrow I showed the new GKN to a few techie guys the other day and they thought it was out of sight.

I just wish I could get this done faster Mad ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY :loco:
:loco:

Sorry about that... I'm better now Wink
User Imagejeremy
10:03 pm Monday
March 3, 2008
That's okay. We're all patient... right?