Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Right hand technique?

User ImagePoint88
11:53 pm Saturday
March 29, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hello. I had a quick question about right handed guitar techniques. I've been hearing a lot about how it's bad to anchor your hand to the bridge of your guitar, as it really restricts your potential speed. So I've been practicing keeping my hand suspended while I play. I've noticed that the flesh of my palm below my thumb usually rests on the strings when I try to play with my right hand suspended. I wanted to ask your opinions on this. I can tell a huge difference by letting my hand off the bridge of the guitar, but is it flawed to have your right hand touching the strings? When I do this I'm not palm muting the notes, the string that I'm playing on is unmuted. I play with a lot of distortion too, so is it actually NECESSARY for me to rest part of my right hand on the strings? Or should the right hand be completely suspended with only the pick touching the strings? Thank you so much!
User ImageBillyJack
8:46 am Sunday
March 30, 2008
To truly be a versitile guitarist requires a masting of the fundementals. That's how I respond to questions like this so the answer to "is it flawed to have your right hand touching the strings?" is "Yes, it is flawed. Now that being said, I have always used my pinky extended and resting on a pick-up or pick guard to judge string depth and distance. There are many players that fudge on technic and still amaze us with their talent. You should practice rigid form, but don't get so hung up on it that you can't still enjoy the practice.
User Imagejeremy
3:18 am Thursday
April 3, 2008
Well put. Eventually you find your own way. I come up with techniques every once in a while that make my playing better but they're usually things that I come up with on my own. Not really things that I pick up from other players. There are players who are amazing but I see them doing some things that seem really bizarre to me as far as technique. But that's what works for them.
User ImageNate
7:48 am Sunday
April 6, 2008
Exactly! There are certain mechanics that "should" improve your playing and make a lot of sense from a technical standpoint, but have you seen how some of the greats play? Look at Marty Friedman's picking hand for example, I'm sure it breaks every rule in the book, but he's a beast! Use what works best for you and try out new things all the time and your technique will develop to what works best for you.
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:48 am Sunday
April 6, 2008
Hi Point88,

Proper technique is import but if it works for you... it works. Look at guys like Django Reinhardt, Jeff Healey, & Stanly Jordan. All these guys for one reason or another adopted an unorthodox method of playing and it works great for them so I'm not going to say any method is totally bad.

If you are concerned about resting your hand, don't rest it for a while. Try learning to play with you hand floating. I started out with my hand always resting on my bridge now I use both methods depending on what it is I'm try to do. There is no doubt that there are times when you want you hand on you bridge, like when you are palm-mating.

My answers to these type questions are always pretty much the same. Try and be as diverse in technique as you can be. If you think you should learn to do something in a different way... You're Right as long as you keep learing. Wink
User ImagePoint88
1:38 pm Saturday
April 19, 2008
Thanks for the helpful answers everyone. I developed a few very bad habits when I first started playing and it really hindered me from improving from a technical standpoint. Your replies all make sense and make me feel a whole lot better about the way I am playing and learning. I will keep experimenting and seeing what works the best! Very happy