Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

YNGWIE?

User Imagejeremy
3:21 am Monday
June 16, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Anybody ever bust out on some Yngwie licks or songs? I´ve been working on Black Star for months now. I have it all memorized but I can only play some of it at like half speed. I´m working it up though. I also wanna complete learning Paganini´s Caprice #5 in A Minor. Yngwie´s playing produces one of my favorite overall guitar sounds. I dig his style. Nobody can touch that. But I´m tryin´ to just touch it a little to add to my harmonic minor chops and ideas. I actually have one of his signature Fender Stratocasters and I just busted it out and dusted it off last week. It´s a strange feeling guitar with all of the frets being scalloped but I figure if I´m gonna play Yngwie stuff then I might as well do it right.
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:43 am Monday
June 16, 2008
Yeah I was really into Yngwie for a while. I still think his playing was sick.

Every time I start to learn one of his tunes I get side tracked working with a lick or other idea that I found in the song. So there are a bunch of things that I do that were inspired by Yngwie but I don´t play too many of his licks note for note. This is true of most players I really like.
User Imagejeremy
7:58 pm Monday
June 16, 2008
I remember when I was like 13 or 14 I tried to learn Black Star but I just didn´t have any idea how to learn that and I didn´t have anybody to show me how to learn it. I´d pick it up and try to learn it for a while and then drop it and get nowhere with it. It was tough back then ´cause there was no internet and I didn´t know anybody who played guitar. But now that I´m older I learn stuff easier so I picked it up again and now I´m gettin´ it. It´s a sweet song. I also picked up Yngwie´s instructional video from the 80´s recently. They have that on DVD now so I scored it. That´s pretty cool. I´m learning alota sweet Yngwie licks off that too.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:15 am Tuesday
June 17, 2008
I know what you mean about it being a lot harder before the internet. Just getting the tabs for songs from Yngwie was hard. I would have killed for power tabs and youtube back then.

I was telling you before that I get side tracked with Yngwie stuff... So I read your post today and I started playing around with Arpeggios From Hell. I kid you not, I spent five minutes learning the first few arpeggios when I found one that interested me and spent the next hour working on the same idea applied to every chord spelling I could think of. This is exactly what happens every time I start learning this guys music. Instead of working on his tune I end up trying to work a musical idea from his song into my own playing.

**Forgot to mention before** Those scalloped Fender Strats are pretty cool. I think I played one in a music store about 15 years ago but I don´t really remember it.
User Imagejeremy
3:08 am Tuesday
June 17, 2008
Yeah. The scalloped frets are really odd for me. It makes the strings feel stiffer and the frets naturally feel bigger. I´m constantly slipping off the fret board with the high e string. That guitar makes me practice a lighter touch.

Dude, I never saw or heard Arpeggios From Hell. I just DL´ed the Power Tab for that and watched Yngwie play it on Youtube. That looks like a nice workout. Let´s see if I can fully memorize the whole thing.
User Imagejeremy
4:47 am Tuesday
June 17, 2008
I just memorized the first 16 bars. Now I´m just tightening it up and cranking up the speed.
User ImageMike Lindyn
6:34 pm Tuesday
June 17, 2008
Now I´m going to have to give it another try from the beginning. I suck at memorizing passages like this but I´ll give it another shot.
User Imagejeremy
7:04 pm Tuesday
June 17, 2008
I love the scale in bars 15 and 16. That´s a typical Yngwie scale. The 4 notes on one string and 3 on the next kinda trips me up a little when I´m tryin´ to get it flying though.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:07 am Wednesday
June 18, 2008
Yeah thats soooo Yngwie. Its funny you mentioned it cause I was just working on that run yesterday.
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:54 pm Wednesday
June 18, 2008
I´m close to having the first 12 measures up to speed. Its still a little sloppy but that is just because its someone else´s licks. I´ll be able to get the first section up to speed pretty soon.
User Imageatilla
10:36 am Thursday
June 19, 2008
I´ve grabbed a few Yngwie idea, both in the way he sequences his notes and his scale choice. Nothing shakes things up like playing a G harmonic minor over a bluesy chord progression!

The guy is sick-fast, of course, but I think he gets knocked a lot for the sterile sound of his studio recordings. But I really like his Live in Leningrad disc.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:03 pm Friday
June 20, 2008
Quote From jeremy:
I love the scale in bars 15 and 16. That´s a typical Yngwie scale. The 4 notes on one string and 3 on the next kinda trips me up a little when I´m tryin´ to get it flying though.

I now have the whole first section up to speed except for the that run. It think this will take a few more days. The 4-note 3- note thing is messing with my head.
User Imagejeremy
1:31 am Monday
June 30, 2008
I just got back from vacation. I had the tab for this thing with me and I thought that I would spend some time with my guitar but somehow the beach won every time.

I´ll start learning it again tomorrow. We should duel with this.
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:12 am Monday
June 30, 2008
Quote From jeremy:
I just got back from vacation. I had the tab for this thing with me and I thought that I would spend some time with my guitar but somehow the beach won every time.

I´ll start learning it again tomorrow. We should duel with this.

I don´t think I would duel with this because I just don´t have it sounding good and I don´t know if I´ll be able to get this sounding right. I´m still in the same place I was the last time I posted (I can play this pretty fast Smile but sloppy Sad ).
User Imagejeremy
6:48 pm Monday
June 30, 2008
Well then maybe it would be a good duel for us ´cause I suck at it too. Seriously, I was just playing it this morning when I got home and I was like, "I´d lose the duel if I recorded this right now". Maybe if we both keep nailing it and get better at it we could do it sometime.
User ImageT.A.Z
5:48 am Saturday
July 12, 2008
Hey guys I´d be up for a having a little battle on this if anyones up for it?? I´ve never tried learning it but I could have ago lol

As for Yngwie I can´t decide if I like him or not. I appreciate his speed and accuracy and I love the sound of all the Diminished Arps and harmonic minors but it gets a little samey for me. "Far Beyond the Sun" and "Black Star" are awesome tracks as is "Vengeance" one of his tunes with vocals. But after that it starts to get a little samey to my ears.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:59 am Saturday
July 12, 2008
Yeah I saw your current duel challenge too. I will accept the duel in a couple of days if no one else does, but I´m waiting to give someone else the chance.

As to Yngwie... His playing is truly great... But its not my favorite thing to listen to. Like you said Yngwie´s speed and technique are off the chart but a player like Greg Howe does much cooler stuff with his phrasing and to my ear its cooler to listen to.
User ImageT.A.Z
1:06 pm Saturday
July 12, 2008
Yeah thats it Mike. It´s not all about speed and technique is it. You gotta be able to phrase what your playing well as well.
User Imagejeremy
12:03 am Friday
September 5, 2008
Any of you dudes (on my side of the river) goin´ to see Yngwie in October? I´m gonna see him in Jersey. He´s playing a handful of dates in the states and like one date in Puerto Rico. It´s like 20 bucks for a ticket. I love that. He´s one of the greatest guitar players ever and you can go see him in little general admission places for 20 bucks.
User Imagejeremy
9:36 pm Sunday
October 26, 2008
Saw the show on Friday night. He´s still by far my favorite guitar player. I´ve been into him since this dude in high school turned me onto him when I was like 13. As I was standing there watching him I was thinking about what it is that attracts me to his playing. And I figure that it´s everything. He has such a clean sound. He plays fast but clean. It´s the tone that he gets from his fingers on the Stratocaster plus the delay and reverb in the chain as well as just how his hands look as he´s playing. That part might sound weird but that´s how it is. It´s the whole package. And add on the fact that he whips the guitar all over the place as he´s playing. I love the showmanship. I could watch him play forever. The show was awesome.