Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Your picking method

User ImageMike Lindyn
3:41 am Thursday
July 3, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Question Do any of you have a picking technique that you use that is unique, original or just really cool? If so please share.
Defualt User ImageWorldDecay
11:47 am Friday
July 4, 2008
I´ve recently discovered the beauty of picking with only your thumb and index finger, although I think that is may be a popular technique already.

I find this stable, and you´re in full control, and it still has enough attack to pack a punch.

Speed-wise, wrist is still faster for me, but Thumb-index is really comfortable, with close to zero tension at all.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:17 pm Friday
July 4, 2008
Cool post Thumbs Up its kind funny because I could have written the exact opposite.

I alway pick only my thumb and index finger but recently I have been using my thumb, middle and index fingers as well as my wrist to get a slightly faster speed picking technique.
User Imagejeremy
12:47 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
I think that my picking technique is somewhat unique. I used to attack the strings with the pick at a pretty extreme angle for alternate picking but when I wanted to do straight down picking I had to have the pick completely parallel with the string. I hated having to switch back and forth and it just wasn´t functional. So I trained myself to attack with the pick parallel with the sting at all times even when alternate picking. It made a big difference. It cleaned up my attack and improved my tone a bit. I´ll tell ya what though… it´s not easy to change something like that. It took a year or more until I was comfortable with the new style.
User ImageTerry
6:56 pm Monday
May 11, 2009
this is an old thread, but interesting.
thinking about it, when im soloing i am very economic...i hardly use my pick unless i am going through a palm muted scale, and when im doing that, about a millimeter of pick is showing through the end of my curled up index finger and thumb...and i didnt ever try to do this!?!?
ive always had an extremely light touch. i think its because ive always been so heavily distorted and really never relied on my picking style for volume. but for that matter thats why i use so much legato. and i am very influenced by Satch and Vai...hah..
my teacher showed me some older standards (blues, jazz) that made me have to use my pick and my middle, ring and pinky to voice chords cleaner and more efficient. he was calling it hybrid picking.