Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Updates Anyone?

Defualt User ImageWorldDecay
11:40 am Friday
July 4, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/forum/topic_index.php?topic_id=832

Roll Eyes Oh well. I guess i was back, but got hindered. I´m not going to officially declare i´m back this time, we´d just see how it goes. I´m on holidays, so i can post more at the moment. I would like to take more effort to visit GKN though.

1)Anyway, just want to know who are the regulars here now, and who are the old guys that have left?

I love what you did to the entire site Mike.

2)Oh yes, another issue, my previous email account exists no longer, is it possible to change it?

3)Lastly, Glad to see you kept this going, I´ve noticed quite little activity here. Many would have given up already!
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:21 pm Friday
July 4, 2008
How you been Loyct its always nice hearing from ya,

About site activity:
Yeah, I really don´t get it. I see the traffic on the site and its quite a lot... 200 to 400 people visit daily (6000 to 8000 hits) but almost NOBODY POSTS. 3 or 4 members login daily but don´t post. So I guess they are just checking there inbox or just downloading tabs. Jeremy has been the the saving grace of GKN if not for him I would have been just talking to myself here. Most of the guys who used to come around still login from time to time but they don´t post. I don´t know why??? Maybe they´re busy. But whatever people are using the tools and the forum never had that many people posting anyway.

Like I said I´m happy with the traffic that GKN gets but I would be lying if I said that I wasn´t a little disappointed in the lack of member involvement, especially since I just spent 8 months building the new system and since there is nothing like the lesson system anywhere else on the net. In fact I´m kinda kicking around the idea of making people pay for all of gkn because if they spend a little money they might be more a little more active and not take gkn for granted. But whatever, I just keep doing it cause I love it and I think there are kids out there who might get something out of it.

*End Rant*

As for your email address:
Just send me the new one and I´ll make that change for you. There will be a way for users to make this change in the future but I haven´t built that section yet.
11:52 pm Friday
July 4, 2008
I was just beginning to explore the site, and wow..this is pretty amazing. The site expanded like...wow.

Very nice. Hehe.

The duel thing, the guitarist profile thing, Very impressive. Thumbs Up

Anyway, what´s up in your musical life nowadays? Personal progress, new full length shred album soon etc? [Hope the regulars will answer as well? Want to catch up on what´s happening here, so states the title of the thread]
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:09 am Saturday
July 5, 2008
Yeah the site has come a long way from when it started out with the just the full fretboard app.

My progress has been great. I play better now than I ever have. I practice too much though... not enough playing.

I´ve been recording on and off but I´m not working on anything big like a new CD right now.
User Imagejeremy
10:50 am Saturday
July 5, 2008
I am working on a new CD. Well, my first CD actually. I never recorded a whole CD of my own stuff that was written just by me (I have a CD from one of my old bands though... I should post MP3´s of that stuff).

Yeah, Mike and I are the only ones on here lately. Just kinda battin´ things back and forth. I see he put up another lesson so I figure it´s my turn now, right? That´s my favorite part of the new layout. I hope to see that take off at some point. It´s a really cool thing ´cause it makes it possible to share little ideas about improving your playing. Like, how many times have you jammed with some dude and saw him do something that you never thought of doing? That happens to me all the time.

I have 2 nephews that play guitar (and are really good) and I actually got one of them to register. They´re kinda deadbeat guitar players right now though but I´m tryin´ to remedy that. I also rock my GKN shirts at shows. In fact I just saw the Crowes in Philly the other night and I was sportin´ a GKN shirt. Once in a while people will come up to me and ask what it´s all about and I always tell them to check it out.

That reminds me... are there still shirts for sale? Where is that?

EDIT: I found it...
Quote From Mike Lindyn:
Thanks guys the shop is already up. Here is the link for you to check it out. http://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=34184
User Imagejeremy
12:40 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
I just scored 3 more shirts. I love those ringer tees. I had the black one so I ordered a red one and a green one as well as one other shirt.
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:12 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
Jeremy you´re the man!

I have to agree with you that the key to GKN´s future success or lack there of will depend the member lessons section. Its the most innovative section of the site and the most likely to catch on. If that takes off and we get new member writing lessons the sky´s the limit but right now that is going slow. I have had about 5 people from myspace say they would write lessons but as of yet they have all been no shows.

I´m building a GKN myspace account to see if I can´t find more people to write lessons but this takes time to setup and then more time to find the guitarist and then write lesson requests. There is a kind of a marketing planing going on but its hard to keep up with the programming, content writing and marketing.

I think of it this way... the new site has only been out for 4 months and there are 4 lessons. If I we keep that going for a a few more months it might start to snowball. Then again it might not. Either way I guess I´ll still be here Smile .
User Imagejeremy
3:37 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
I´ll be here too. I´m working on a lesson right now. I´m tryin´ to figure out how to embed a MOV file into the page. Is that possible?
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:22 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
Yeah you should be able to do this try something like this:

< embed src="http://www.sourcedomain/your.mov"
autoplay="false" type="video/quicktime"
pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" >< p >
User ImageMike Lindyn
4:41 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
Your right I just tested that. I will look into this and have a way for you to do that tonight.
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:11 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
OK it works now but of course there is something new I just noticed.
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:10 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
Ok this works pretty well now. You just have to make sure you add a P tag after the embed tag (just like the code above). I´ll make it so you can just push a button to embed a MOV very soon, I just never thought about embeding these when I did this section.
User Imagejeremy
9:12 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
I don´t know. When I do that I just get a black box. Like, the blue Q pops up and then I get a black box as if the video is gonna load but then that´s it.I think I´m gonna leave it as link. It looks tighter anyway. And dudes can just click to view the video then instead of getting hit with it as soon as they open the lesson.
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:49 pm Saturday
July 5, 2008
You´re most likely right I didn´t actually test it with a movie I was just checking that the code was input and didn´t mess up the format of the page.

I want to make an easier way to do pictures in that same interface so I´ll work on the movie embed at the same time.
User Imagejeremy
6:23 pm Sunday
July 6, 2008
Tight dude, tight!
9:25 pm Sunday
July 6, 2008
So..anyone can submit lessons? Will there be any ´Quality Control´?

Very happy
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:19 pm Sunday
July 6, 2008
Yeah any member can submit lessons. As for quality control it will be up to the community to point out errors and judge the lessons... This is why there are comments and lesson ranking. I´ll be checking things out too Wink .