Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Playing fast licks...

User ImageKen
11:50 am Sunday
July 13, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Seems most of you guys here are lightning fast in your leads..
I haven´t got around to seeing what´s available on this site yet for this, but if you have heard my music, you´ll see i´m more of a rhythm player than a lead...
Anyhow, I would appreciate any steering in the right direction for increasing the speed.
I´m naturally slower fingered, but i´m sure I can improve.
Do you think some people just cant play fast?
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:15 pm Sunday
July 13, 2008
I don´t know if some people CAN´T play fast but I do think there is a little bit of natural ability required to play really really fast. For example, Shawn Lane said that he had developed all of his technique by 14. I started playing at 14 and a half and by the time I was 17 I developed most of the speed I have now (Even though I´m much better now than when I was 17).

As to getting faster. Here is a quick list of things that should help:

1) Practice with Scales. Scales are a great way to build your speed and your ear. Here are a couple of lessons from GKN to get you started with your scales. All our example lessons here will use the G Major Scale. Scale Lesson One shows different ways the same scale can be arranged on your fretboard (Box Form, 3 Note Per String, 2 Note Per String, and more.). Scale Lesson Two shows how you can take one scale fingering and play it a bunch of different ways. This one is a great workout too. Once you have all this down for the G Major Scale try it with harmonic minor.

2) I know your into bluesy stuff Ken and so I would also suggest watch these as they will help you see how speed can be use with pentatonic scales:
Shawn Lane Pentatonic Lesson 1:

Shawn Lane Pentatonic Lesson 2:

3) Use a metronome. This is one of the most important things. Speed without time = noise. Listening to your music I can tell your timing is already good but the metronome will still help if for no other reason than to give you an idea of how fast you can play so you can push yourself to go faster.

4) Make sure to relax. When you are tense you will not be able to play as fast as when you are relaxed. Pay attention to any tension in your arms back or neck. Try your best to get rid of that tension by relaxing that area as best as you can and try to keep it relaxed as you play fast.
User ImageT.A.Z
3:09 pm Sunday
July 13, 2008
Those last 2 are deffinately the best 2!!

When using a metronome I always think of Petrucci´s DVD. The 2 best ways are to,

1) Build up in incrememtns of 8bpm, just work on passages until your comfortable with each speed.

and

2) Practice at a certain speed till your comfortable and then look at what speed your aiming for. Go past it by 16/24bpm and try it then bring it down to what your target bpm is and try it. It´ll feel a lot easier to play it.

Definately make sure your relaxed when trying to play fast aswell Ken. ALso mate, the most important thing is make sure what your playing is clean!!!!
User ImageKen
4:50 pm Sunday
July 13, 2008
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the help.
I quickly recorded a song today, tried to play fast leads.
It lacks structure, and I hit the wrong note occasionally, but i´m going to re-record it again in a couple months to see if there is some improvement.
I´ll post it in a day or 2 so you guys can have a listen to the "before" version.
User ImageT.A.Z
9:32 am Monday
July 14, 2008
Yeah that´ll be cool Ken. Look forward to it!!!