Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Saving Tab Files

Defualt User Imagecdmccracken
12:33 pm Wednesday
July 16, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
I have several ptb tab files saved from before the tab files went down. I have since tried to save and view some but I don´t seem to be getting the options that I was before. It is completely possible that I am forgetting something. Can anyone assist me with downloading these files so that I can view the in Powertab?

Thanks,

Craig
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:30 pm Wednesday
July 16, 2008
Craig,

I´ve seen this before. Does it open up in the browser and look like a bunch of code? If so, use firefox login and right click on the file and select save as and then save the file. It does not work in Internet Explorer.

I would be interested in knowing if this happens to anyone else.

Let me know if this fixes your issue.
Defualt User Imagecdmccracken
8:43 am Thursday
July 17, 2008
Mike:

I appreciate the reply. I am not sure that I know what you mean by firefox login. I am logged into GKN when I try to open the tab, and yes it does look like a bunch of code. When I try to save it, it wants to save as a web page instead of a .ptb file.

Thanks,

Craig
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:17 pm Thursday
July 17, 2008
Hi Craig,

Sorry I wasn´t more clear. What I was talking about is your web browser. Firefox is the name of a very good common web browser.

You can right click on the file and save the file with Internet Explorer (IE) too. But for some reason if you do that IE it will change the file name to something like tab_file_name.htm when the real file name should be tab_file_name.ptb or tab_file_name.gp4 or tab_file_name.gp5.

This is why I was saying to use firefox but really both will work.

Long term fix:
I have two ways of fixing this for every one...
1) I could zip every file in the tab directory. There are about 22,000 files there so I don´t find to do that.
2) The other way I could do this I don´t want to get into because is too hard to explain.... it isn´t quite as bad as zipping 22,000 files but it still would be a lot of work.

This problem is coming up more and more. I think one of the updates to IE is responsible for the incorrect file handling. A link is just a link so its not the code its how the browsers handle the code. You see, if you have GuitarPro or PowerTabs installed on your machine IE should know not to try and open these types of file but for some reason IE tries anyway. You can change the file type association until you are blue in the face it will make no difference.

I can only post in the evening time right now. Sorry for making you wait all day on this.

Mike